Starting problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

98GrandAmSE
03-23-2004, 02:10 PM
I just went outside to move my car and it reluctantly started. after i was finished moving it, when i shut it off, the RPMs jumped to 2k and then shut off. I went to start it again and it would not start. It sounded like it wanted to but shut off right when i let go of the key. I finally got it started by holding my foot on the gas while turning the key. I shut it off again and when i turned the key the next time, it struggled to start but then finally did. WTF happened? It worked fine yesterday.

98GrandAmSE
03-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Tried it 5 mins later and it started fine. Still confused though.

Molson
03-23-2004, 02:18 PM
It flooded itself when you shut it off, its common, no big deal. That would explain holding your foot to the floor when startig it back up... when it went to 2k then shut down, the injectors shot a last pulse that stayed on the plugs..

Old school man! I remember the old carbed cars, when it was cold. Some took 2 pumps to start, 3 and it would be flooded and a PITA to start after.

98GrandAmSE
03-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks Molson, Quick reply :)

balludc
03-23-2004, 07:53 PM
yep... right the nose...

the truck i use at work.... (its a POS lol ) definetly takes a hand full of pumps before it will even think about starting. thing loves to backfire too :D

-dc

Mike Jung
03-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Molson
...Old school man! I remember the old carbed cars, when it was cold. Some took 2 pumps to start, 3 and it would be flooded and a PITA to start after.
Yep, I remember that...

First car (my dad's) I learned to drive on with my mom.

Cold Start = 2-pumps of the gas (& if it was really cold; you prayed it would start).
Warm Start = 1-pump of the gas.

lol