squeaky cv? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : squeaky cv?

michslpgt
03-24-2004, 05:34 AM
I am in the market for another GT due to an accident with my old one. I have been on a few test drives. I have now driven two GT's (both 2001's as was mine) that squeak at low speeds especially when I turn. I dont know if this squeak is happening at higher speeds because of the road noise taking over. It sounds like it is in the CV joints or half shafts somewhere. I dont believe this is from them sitting at the lot, because one of the cars was brought up from Ohio for me the day I drove it. Any feedback is very appreciated.

71Z28RS
03-24-2004, 06:04 AM
CV shafts don't usually squeek. In fact, they won't make any noise while driving straight. It's usually turning sharp while going very very slow. Like while turning into a parking spot or while pulling out of your driveway. And it's more of a noise like Rrrrrrrriiiiiittttttt. I would more likely guess it's the hub bearing, although they are usually less of a squeak and more of a rubbing noise. The simplest problem would be if the brake pad was leaning lightly against the rotor and it was causing it to squeal. You can test that by seeing if the sound goes away when you're braking. If not, I think I'd avoid that car because unless you like to get you're hands dirty, you're looking at a minimum of $300-400 to fix the problem. But if you like the car and you like doing your own work, it'd be less than a $100 for the parts if it was the hub. If it's the brake pad that's causing the noise, get them to drop some on the price and then do them yourself for cheap.

michslpgt
03-24-2004, 06:52 AM
I know its not the breaks. Im work on my cars myself. I've changed wheel bearings before and some other front end work, but not on my GA. Im good mechanically, in my opinion. I do know the difference in break squeal and a bad hub. I does do it mostly when I turned the GA but has a bit of it going slow and strait.