transmission problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission problem

Fenderman
03-24-2004, 09:40 PM
This is a bonneville question but i was hoping you guys might know. i have a 1997 bonneville sse (137,000,miles) and the transmission doesnt shifit out of first and the speedometer doesnt work until the car is driven and warms up for a while. then it works perfectly. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be causing this?

71Z28RS
03-26-2004, 06:34 AM
You need to be a little more clear on the shifting problem.....it doesn't shift out of first ever? Or it hesitates when shifting into second?

The speedometer problem depends on what kind it is. If it's an electronic hookup, the sensor in the trans might be bad. Or, the wire harness going to that sensor might have a split in it somewhere and is faulting out. If it's a mechanical hookup, the nylon speedometer gear in the trans might be partially stripped. If that's the case, it won't work when the trans fluid is cold because it's just slightly too viscous to let the stripped gear turn. But once the oil warms up, there is less resistance and the gear will start to work again. If that's the case, it's only a matter of time before it quits all together. Also, if it's a mechanical setup, the cable might be corroded. And I guess there is always the chance that the actual gage is bad, but I think that would be less likely.