overheating please help!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : overheating please help!!!

brian19876
03-25-2004, 08:58 AM
my 96 grand am is overheating 3.1 v6 it works for a couple days then it ovrheats and the coolent keep pouring out under the cap where you pour the coolent in need help why is this keep happening

Marksman
03-25-2004, 09:17 AM
You probably have a bad thermostat. That's what happened to mine. It will stick shut from time to time.
Bitch to replace but you gotta do it.

ND4SPDIII
03-25-2004, 09:37 AM
also check ur coolant plastic cap, they break sometimes, probably it's already worn out.

brian19876
03-25-2004, 09:52 AM
it is strange it just does it every couple days it did it 4 days ago then it ran fine for the last 4 then this morning it did it again i put 250 miles on the car in the last couple day this is driving me crazy how do you replace it with out removing the exaulst manifold so much s*** stuffed it the the eng compartment of this car

Marksman
03-25-2004, 07:48 PM
You don't have to remove the manifold but you will have to remove the intake, TB, coolant line, and a lot of pain in the ass bolts. If you don't have tools, DON"T try this, it's easy to do, just a bitch.
If you're a newb at engine repair, give yourself at least four hours taking your time.
Any more questions you can ask here or e-mail me: n_kimber@yahoo.com

JawnyRico
03-26-2004, 02:20 AM
Dude for sure try your cap first. Could be that its just building up to much pressure and the cap's seal has broken or cracked like he said, and its just coming out there. Replace cap first, add coolant again. Make sure lines are bled and see what happens before going into major repairs. I just replaced my water pump and t-stat yesterday. It took 6 hours. I wish it was just my cap!!!!

71Z28RS
03-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Make sure your cooling fan is turning on. I had a GA that had intermittent cooling fan issues. I had spent 4 hours in stop and go traffic on the expressway with no trouble and then the next day it overheated in a McDonalds drivethrough. Of course, the first thing I replaced was the Tstat and that didn't do it. It was in my early car repair days and I didn't think to properly diagnose it before ripping into it. Luckily for me it was an older style and the tstat was right under the pressure cap. No tools required. An easy way to check the cooling fan is to let it get up to operating temperature in the driveway and wait for the fan to turn on.

If that's not it, and it still overflows, check the temp gage and make sure it's actually getting hot. If it isn't getting hot, then it's your cap. If it is getting hot, it's probably your tstat, but it could also be your water pump.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

JawnyRico
03-26-2004, 04:28 PM
another good way to check the fan is by turning on your defrost. The fan should come on right away, at least mine does. Hey 71Z28RS your problem was not the overheating but that you were in a McDonalds drivethrough. LoL..........jk.........

brian19876
03-27-2004, 01:17 PM
I've changed the thermostat and I drove the car for about a half-hour...the car doesn't seem to be overheating and I only get heat for the 1st 15min of driving...after that nothing....i used the procedure from the cooling section but maybe i should open the bleeder valve if i knew where it was

Marksman
03-27-2004, 06:32 PM
If it's a v-6 the bleeder valve is on the top of the water pump, a little black screw.

brian19876
03-27-2004, 08:40 PM
i ve tried every thing the car still randomly overheats change the thermostat today and bleed the air out of the system took a 30min trip it was fine went to store later on the way back started to overheat again and the coolent was coming back out the cap where i poured it in this is driving me crazy any other ideas would be helpful thanks and yes i replaced the cap today also

Marksman
03-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Could be a plugged radiator, or hose. Is the fan coming on? Water pump leaking?