LIM gremlin got me, but I fought back....... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM gremlin got me, but I fought back.......

Matt's99GT
03-26-2004, 04:39 AM
Well, it finally happened to me........ as I have read on here that eventually the LIM gasket would go. My GA is a 99 GT with 50,000 miles on it. Checked the oil last Sunday and it looked a little orange..... glanced down at the trans bell housing and geez, what did I find????? Yep, a nice little pool of Dexcool..........

I have no warranty, so I tried another route. I called GM customer care and I raised holy hell about it. The rep was very friendly and listened as I told him that GM knows that this gasket is bad but has done nothing about it except make a replacement gasket and supply bolts with threadlocker on it. However, they had no problem taking GA owners money, somewhere north of $600, bust most likely close to a grand, for the repair. I stated that some have had it fixed under warranty and some may not have had the replacement gasket installed at that time because the new gasket came out in '03.

Well, to keep this short, after dropping the car off at the dealership and having them tell me that it officially was the LIM gasket, I then called GM back and told my rep this. He then spoke to the Service adviser and the Service Manager about the car and the maintenence on it....... After hashing the numbers, this $900 repair is only costing me $411, and this includes fresh Dexcool, GM engine flush, and fresh Mobil 1 oil........

I guess what I am trying to say is don't be afraid to voice your concerns to GM over this. They came through for me with good customer service by backing up a bad part and cutting me a huge break on a very laborous repair. I feel that it was very fair and the rep was very understanding to my position about the LIM gasket. If some of you haven't had this problem and you have mileage like mine and no warranty, do yourself a favor and pick up THE PHONE AND MAKE YOURSELF HEARD!!!! My car was done as of last night but I told the service advisor I wanted it to sit for a day, as per the TB regarding the repair.

Just wanted to share this with you all, hope it helps some of you guys and girls that may eventually experience this.

Thanks,
Matt

PACE
03-26-2004, 04:53 AM
I have heard that the problem is that after a few years the molecular structure of Dexcool changes into an acid and eats at plastic and rubber stuff.....

Glad you saved some coin:thumbs:

Matt's99GT
03-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Pace,

The service advisor didn't really elaborate as to the cause of the gaskets going bad. He had only commented that he has seen it in basically all FWD V6 engines. I just had my antifreeze flushed and filled about 3 months ago and just did a Mobil 1 oil change 5 weeks ago. I have read the huge debates on here about Dexcool being the culprit and am still on the fence about that.

In any event event, if this happens again, I'm trading it in and looking for a '96 Impala SS..........

Matt

BMOBYLE
04-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Good job matt! This does actually happen if you get on them enough about something at a dealer or better yet call up a rep! It happens all the time at my dealer.

What I've seen from the dexcool is that it actually seems to evaporate and solidfy after a while. The cause of the leak is from the actual permetex seal between the LIM and the block from the factory.(not enough applied) There is two actual gaskets on either side of LIM then a silicone(if you will) seal between the LIM and the block. Also normally the T-stat and dummy shaft seal also get replaced. Alot of times if we get repetitive problems with leaks related to dexcool our service mananger has us actually put the green coolant in and replace the cap.

GTmonyPit
04-21-2004, 07:12 PM
hay matt where is the lim gasket and what does it do

RedGrandTour
04-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Good Luck ! Even with the "new" gaskets, I'm still having issues with the gaskets and coolant.

kubiache
04-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Good to hear, man. Me and H.O. Driver will be tearing into mine tomorrow, and will take plenty of pictures to post up for the DIYers.

Matt's99GT
04-22-2004, 07:05 PM
I contemplated tearing it apart myself but decided to raise hell with GM instead..... Get this, it just happened on my parent's 99 Mailbu, they are out of warranty and called GM and got their's done for free!!! I think if GM hadn't done anything, I would have ripped it apart myself.

RedGrand Tour - oh man, not what I wanted to hear, or read, I should say...

Ryan - It is the gasket that mates the upper and lower intake manifolds together among thenmselves and the cylinder heads. It was a poorly designed gasket that is very prone to leaking antifreeze. Others think that Dexcool antifreeze is partially, if not fully, to blame for its deterioration. In any event, it is a very common and expesive fix on our GA's if you can't DIY. Search "Lower Intake Manifold Gasket" and you'll get an overdose of info about it.

Bmobyle - I thought of not using Dexcool either but I am going to sell it or trade it in when I am finished paying the car off and I didn't think it would be wise. I'm still on the fence about Dexcool being the blame......

Matt