Grand AM GT Vs. Grand Prix GTP few ?'s [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grand AM GT Vs. Grand Prix GTP few ?'s

BadGT471
03-26-2004, 03:07 PM
I have read up on this site before about how the Grand Am is more nimble and will out handle the Grand Prix. Well, just out of curiosity, I decided to head down to the local Pontiac dealership to test drive a Grand Prix. I managed (22) to talk this cool salesman into letting me drive a 2004 Grand Prix GTP with the Competition Package. The car to me at first seemed really bulky.. (A lot of car). I was highly skeptical of the handling on this thing. He told me it has a new "stabilitrac" thing on it. Anyways heres what I thought. The acceleration on the car is awesome.. You put the pedal to the floor and the supercharger screams. Honestly though, I know it's much faster than my Grand Am GT with a stage 3 APOC intake and SLP Exhaust, but it didn't seem THAT much faster. I would have expected MORE of a push back into your seat then it gave... More of like my 98 LS1 Z28 camaro gave... As far as handling, I don't understand how it handles better than the Grand Am. It's so much heavier. I took corners in it and curves MUCH better and easier then I do in my 02 GAGT. In the GAGT I get a lot of leaning (need some lowering springs), but in the GTP it was rock solid, no leaning.... What does the stock GTP have over the STOCK GAGT? I have the front and rear strut bars too... Anyone have any clue? Has anyone else driven a new GTP (2004)? If so, what are their thoughts? I'm seriously considering the 2004 Silver GTP i drove yesterday.... Can someone shed a little light on this?? OH yeah, the GAGT needs the heads up display like the GTP too ;)

Thanks,
Jeff

ND4SPDIII
03-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Dude, all i got to say its that when you mod gtp's.....they are fast!!! talking about 12's. :thumbs:

BadGT471
03-26-2004, 03:32 PM
I'm impressed. What do they run stock? Any ideas? I am in a bind. I don't know what to do. I really love my GAGT, but at the same time I lvoe SO many features of the GTP, and I love the supercharger ;) I was thinking about going with an RSM one for my Grand Am, however, everyone keeps telling me I'd need that and Nitrous to even compete with a GTP. At that point, I'm thinking I'd be smarter to just trade in my gagt and get teh GTP... It'd save me time and money, and I really can't believe that the crappy 3.4 liter wouldn't blow up or have some serious problems with a supercharger AND Nitrous put on it...

GTspeed
03-26-2004, 04:02 PM
well according to what i've seen from searcing the internet, and other forums, a stock 97-2003 GTP does the 1/4 in about 14.6 to 14.9, depends on the driver and the car, and saw some factory freaks with 14.4 or 14.5. i think the 04's are about the same.

and i do agree with u on the GTP not "feeling" as fast as my GAGT. i have cold air, exhaust, and pro-m MAF. other week i test drove a 2002 GTP coupe. that thing flew, but didnt "feel" as fast as my GT. i think cause it has a smoother torque curve or somethin. all i know is i look at the HUD and because of such smooth acceleration, i'm going ALOT faster than i think i am. rides pretty smooth too. would of been able to get it too if they werent askin 1500 over what it's worth. well that, and i still owe on my car. lol. but if he lowered it to the book value, the payments would of been the same. oh well. maybe in 2 years.

BadGT471
03-26-2004, 04:04 PM
It must be because of the torque curve or something. You don't feel the shifts like you do in the GAGT... How many car lengths would a STOCK GTP take a Modded GAGT with like stage 3 apoc intake and a SLP catback exhaust?? Any ideas???

ND4SPDIII
03-26-2004, 04:26 PM
gtp's I think they run like 14's. But U can make them go as fast to 12's and even 11's. When I went to the track some guy did 11.35 with nos!! They don't look like fast cars but once there are modded DAMN!!!

ND4SPDIII
03-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by BadGT471
It must be because of the torque curve or something. You don't feel the shifts like you do in the GAGT... How many car lengths would a STOCK GTP take a Modded GAGT with like stage 3 apoc intake and a SLP catback exhaust?? Any ideas???

shiit, I don't know but you never know when a sleeper gtp will be next you and try to race and u, might be thinking that he doesn't have no mods. and then NOOOO MONICA!!!!!!!!

95-GT
03-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Stock I've seen a 15 flat to a mid 14....but mostly high 14's. I can beat stock ones all day long without a problem, and some modded ones.

But to get them running fast....here is what you need:

To get it into the low 13's: approx. $2000

SLP Cold-Air Induction Package
ZZP Modular Pulley System with 3.20" Pulley
Goodyear Gatorback Supercharger Belt
Supercharger Tensioner Pulley
INTENSE High Performance 180F Thermostat
Autolite 103(three heat ranges colder than stock) Copper Core Spark Plugs
INTENSE 1.90:1 Third Generation Full Roller Rocker Arms for L67/L32
INTENSE Oil-restricted High-Performance Pushrods
SLP Ceramic Coated Headers
SLP Header Installation Kit
SLP High Flow Catalyst & Rear O2 Simulator

Now thats a general estimate with a good launch, car with removed dead weight (pare, empty the trunk, remove the floor mats, race with a quarter tank of fuel, set your tire pressures properly, etc), prepped track, good tires, and good weather conditions.

Azrael
03-26-2004, 06:40 PM
My brother owns a 99 GTP and it doesn't take much to get alot more power out of them.

MetaGTP1
03-26-2004, 07:36 PM
If we could get an SC'd 3.9L V6 in the new G6, it would destroy a GTP Comp G. That G6 with a 6 speed manual,of course! ;)

carsarecool
03-26-2004, 11:08 PM
the '04 GTP comp G is a sick car, the Competition group package gives you magnasteer II, stabilitrak sport, V-rated tires a 3.29 axle(instead if 2.93), bigger stabilizer bars and less body roll, thats why it handles better, plus the 260 hp-and your right the G6 3.9 engine is sweet too, i bet if they did some internal work AND s/c'ed they could get it to 300 hp :)

Sleepwalkr
03-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 95-GT
But to get them running fast....here is what you need:

To get it into the low 13's: approx. $2000

SLP Cold-Air Induction Package
ZZP Modular Pulley System with 3.20" Pulley
Goodyear Gatorback Supercharger Belt
Supercharger Tensioner Pulley
INTENSE High Performance 180F Thermostat
Autolite 103(three heat ranges colder than stock) Copper Core Spark Plugs
INTENSE 1.90:1 Third Generation Full Roller Rocker Arms for L67/L32
INTENSE Oil-restricted High-Performance Pushrods
SLP Ceramic Coated Headers
SLP Header Installation Kit
SLP High Flow Catalyst & Rear O2 Simulator

Lets not forget that every decal adds 5-10 hp depending on location on the vehicle, size of decal, and popularity of product advertised on the afforementioned decal.

matts
03-26-2004, 11:43 PM
my moms car has a s/c 3.8 and it runs pretty damn good. i had my uncle order a smaller pulley for it and it should be here in a week or so

BadGT471
03-27-2004, 11:36 AM
The 04 GTP COMP G I drove had a 3.8 Supercharged Engine putting out 260HP. It's a series 3 engine now... Where is everyone getting this "G6 3.9" engine? They are still the same 3.8 Liter engine with the Eaton supercharger, or so I am aware of anyways!

Asmodeus404
03-27-2004, 02:04 PM
the Grand Prix has the 3800 Series engine.. it's the G6 (replacement for the GA) that will have a 3.9L V6 engine.

It'd definately be awesome to watch a G6 (with the 3.9, 6speed) and a GPGTP with Comp G. go at it on the tracks!

AznGA
03-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Yep, unlike GTP, G6 will have manual tranny. Pontiac thinks "tapshift" will satisfy drivers looking for manual tranny.

grandam-wpg
03-28-2004, 11:03 AM
If you really want to know how fast your car is compared to a GTP you should visit CLubGP and read the "raceing stories" forum and just look at other cars they raced and I think there is a few GAs in there too.

Heck you might as well post this question there too I think you would get a huge response :)

logicalgt1
03-29-2004, 10:46 AM
I still can't get over the looks of the 04 GP's. I like the previous generation IMO. I went back and forth for months thinking about buying a GP but I think the GA's look better IMO. It's also hard to compare the GTP with a GA in a technical discussion. Your talking a N/A car to a S/C'd car. Two different apples.