Tinting your own windows [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tinting your own windows

PontiacGT
03-27-2004, 07:08 PM
um, how hard is it to tint your own windows? what does it all consist of, and also, when they sell rolls of 24" by xxx', will a size like that cover the rear window of a GAGT coupe??? i mean i wouldnt imagine that you could overlap the stuff.......so what's the deal?

luniz
03-27-2004, 07:22 PM
One of my friends who has his own tint shop. Watching them doing it they make it look easy. They basically cut the tint down to size, then they put a soapy water solution on the glass. Apply the tint and roll out the bubbles. I would imagine that it would take some practice before you master it. I would rather spend 120 bucks to get it put on professionaly with a lifetime warranty then to mess it up myself.

ZakkWylde470
03-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by luniz
I would rather spend 120 bucks to get it put on professionaly with a lifetime warranty then to mess it up myself.

:werd

AznGA
03-27-2004, 09:15 PM
My friend tried doing it. It's not as easy as it seems. It's not worth it.

sicc
03-27-2004, 09:46 PM
its the same process we used to put my vinyl stripes on. its not hard if you take your time.

carsarecool
03-27-2004, 11:42 PM
yeah i had mine done, cost $200 but he did all 4 windows and the back one too, he pretty much just cleaned the window, put the film on the outside of the window first and cut it from that, then sprayed the soapy water on the inside and put the film on, took the backing off of the adhesive then squeegeed it flat and got all the bubbles out, it looks pretty nice

UNCTYPE-S
03-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by luniz
I would rather spend 120 bucks to get it put on professionaly with a lifetime warranty then to mess it up myself.

exactly! like i said in the other tint thread, its just not worth it unless u actually know what you are doing.

if you do it yourself-
-no warranty
-risk messing it up only to redo it multiple times
-multiple headaches
-could possible take a day longer then if u brought it in

if you brought it in
-any problems, lifetime warranty and take it back
-walk out of the place feeling good cause it looks perfect
-takes about 2 hrs

Confuzed420
03-28-2004, 09:21 AM
If the window is flat, its pretty simple, but if there is a curve in the window its hard to do yourself.

GTLUVA
03-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Go get your windows tinted by a professional. I have Llumar film on my car and I love it its good film quality and I have a lifetime warranty on it so its not going to be turning purple and bubbly. :p

killerhound
03-28-2004, 10:51 AM
I tint my beater cars because frankly I don't give a **** how they look. Surprisingly they look good though, so I'm happy with myself. My GA, I took right to a professional...that's the only one of my cars I actually care about enough to make sure it gets done right.