Blue Smoke!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Blue Smoke!!

tbone
03-29-2004, 04:21 PM
So I know Blue smoke means burning oil but...

SOOOOOOO many people I see with custome exhausts seem to spew it, it that a back pressure issue or is it inherent the exhuast mods have drivers that cause it by racing or what?

Thats the biggerst thing stopping me from doing it.

Last thing I need are burnt valve or pooched gaskets.

kamikaz16
03-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Drive the crap outta my SLP catback, no problem at all. I don't think it would be associated with exhaust though.

Blackrider
03-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Pressure Test!

AaronGTR
03-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Having a custom exhaust has nothing to do with smoke coming out the exhaust. Most of those people with smoking exhausts probably have other problems. Blue or white smoke is usually a sign of burning coolant. Black smoke is burning oil or a way rich fuel mixture. Also coolant smoke has a sweeter smell while oil smoke is really stinky. If you're smoke seems like coolant smoke, check you're coolant level. If it's low fill it up, drive the car and see if the problem persists. If it keeps smoking and the coolant drops again you're buring coolant somewhere. The first place I'd check is the lower intake manifold gasket since they are notorious for leaking coolant and/or oil. Second place to check would be the head gaskets, but head gasket failures on these cars are very uncommon.

Edit: If you still think it's oil, follow the same procedure.;) Check your oil level, fill it up, monitor the problem to see if it goes away. Most common causes of burning oil are lower intake gasket (again), bad valve seal, or bad piston ring (real bad news if that's it).

Blackrider
03-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by AaronGTR
Having a custom exhaust has nothing to do with smoke coming out the exhaust. Most of those people with smoking exhausts probably have other problems. Blue or white smoke is usually a sign of burning coolant. Black smoke is burning oil or a way rich fuel mixture. Also coolant smoke has a sweeter smell while oil smoke is really stinky. If you're smoke seems like coolant smoke, check you're coolant level. If it's low fill it up, drive the car and see if the problem persists. If it keeps smoking and the coolant drops again you're buring coolant somewhere. The first place I'd check is the lower intake manifold gasket since they are notorious for leaking coolant and/or oil. Second place to check would be the head gaskets, but head gasket failures on these cars are very uncommon.

Edit: If you still think it's oil, follow the same procedure.;) Check your oil level, fill it up, monitor the problem to see if it goes away. Most common causes of burning oil are lower intake gasket (again), bad valve seal, or bad piston ring (real bad news if that's it).
Or you can do a Pressure Test to find out for sure that it is leaking, then you can find where it is leaking. ;)

AaronGTR
03-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Was just looking at your post again, it's kinda confusing. Let me see if I got this right. You don't have a problem with smoke coming out your exhaust, but you're thinking of getting a custom exhaust? And you're worried that is going to make you start spewing smoke, right? That's about the dumbest most paranoid thing I've heard yet. Sorry... not trying to be insulting... just trying to keep a straight face. lol Don't worry about it man. There is absolutely no way what-so-ever that an exhaust is going to cause engine problems or make you burn oil, period! Some people with brand new exhausts get some smoke out the back, but that's just because the piping and mufflers have some oil on them from the manufacturing process. It goes away after driving around for a day or so.:thumbs:

Gt00
03-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by tbone
So I know Blue smoke means burning oil but...

SOOOOOOO many people I see with custome exhausts seem to spew it SOME people that mod their cars tend to drive the Sh*t out of them and cause damage that leads to engine problems . Hence oil burning etc. Although the majority of guys that mod their cars usually look after them better than the average owner . So just putting on an exhaust isn't going to cause oil burning if thats what your getting at . :D

tenspeed
03-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Blue smoke is common at the higher RPM's. Oil slips by the rings.

IanGT99
03-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Some people with brand new exhausts get some smoke out the back, but that's just because the piping and mufflers have some oil on them from the manufacturing process. It goes away after driving around for a day or so.:thumbs:

*iagree*

I just got my SLP/Magnaflow exhaust on two weeks ago, and my car smelled like poop for a few days. It's just the car getting used to the new metal and the fact that there are chemicals and oil and whatnot on it like Aaron said. It's completely fine now, though. New exhaust will absolutely not cause any problems like you are saying. If any kind of colored smoke DOES come out of your exhaust, you have a butt load more problems than you would ever wish to have! ;)

Ian

Sprucegagt
03-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Blue or white smoke is usually a sign of burning coolant. Black smoke is burning oil or a way rich fuel mixture. Also coolant smoke has a sweeter smell while oil smoke is really stinky.

Just a friendly correction here but blue or white smoke is a sign of oil burning, black smoke is only a rich fuel mixture and coolant only makes steam which can look like white smoke. :thumbs:

AaronGTR
03-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Sprucegagt
Just a friendly correction here but blue or white smoke is a sign of oil burning, black smoke is only a rich fuel mixture and coolant only makes steam which can look like white smoke. :thumbs:

:rolleyes: Whatever, another expert.

Gt00
03-29-2004, 09:26 PM
:rolleyes: Whatever, another expert. lol

AaronGTR
03-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Just to clarify, oil most definitely burns black. I've seen enough oil fires before (remember all those oil wells on fire in quait), and seen enough cars spewing black smoke that have been diagnosed with bad valve seals. Coolant also most definitly produces white smoke. It's usually only composed of 40-50% water, and 50-60% off an additive which a) acts as an anti-freezing agent, b) acts a lubricant for the cooling system, and c) raises the boiling point of the mixture to sustain higher temperatures inside the engine blocks water jackets. This additive is composed of chemical components which burn and produce a visible white smoke, while the water on the other hands is turned into vapor at such a high temperature that it isn't visible.

Doug
03-29-2004, 11:09 PM
My car has leaky valve seals so when I first start it it puffs a little smoke but none after that. Really isn't a problem and lots of higher mileage cars do it. Just when the car sits some oil leaks through and gets in the combustion chamber and burns when you first start up.

My supra does it also.

tbone
03-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Wow. Didn't expect to get so much advice on the subject and still get called dumb. (I think a dumb question should only have one or two possible answers but what do I know, apparently I'm dumb.):confused:

But anyhow thanks for all the.... constructive, advise and I think I have made my decision.

Sprucegagt
03-30-2004, 07:55 AM
:rolleyes: Whatever, another expert.

Ok, I was simply being nice here but since you had to turn it into a bashing session here we go.

Just to clarify, oil most definitely burns black. I've seen enough oil fires before (remember all those oil wells on fire in quait), and seen enough cars spewing black smoke that have been diagnosed with bad valve seals. Coolant also most definitly produces white smoke. It's usually only composed of 40-50% water, and 50-60% off an additive which a) acts as an anti-freezing agent, b) acts a lubricant for the cooling system, and c) raises the boiling point of the mixture to sustain higher temperatures inside the engine blocks water jackets. This additive is composed of chemical components which burn and produce a visible white smoke, while the water on the other hands is turned into vapor at such a high temperature that it isn't visible.

You think black smoke is a sign of oil burning, well here is a test. Pour 2 tablespoons of oil down your intake and tell me what comes out of the pipe. I can guarantee you its white smoke. Second oil burns differently when its under pressure. Yeah, oil fires when in the atmosphere do burn black, but in the combustion cycle of an internal combustion engine it will never see atmospheric pressure. Plus somebody told you the wrong thing if you think black smoke is caused by bad valve seals. Bad valve seals produce (if there really bad) continous white smoke or a small puff of white or blue smoke on start up.

The additive your talking about in coolant is Ethylene Glycol and yes I know its uses. What your wrong about is the water vapor. As it flows along the exhaust pipe it cools and produces a visible steam, thus what you see come out of the pipe.

Finally what is your problem? No matter what the subject you have to take the arrogant ******* side. Sorry but what you think is not always right. Get some facts behind what you say!

AaronGTR
03-30-2004, 09:32 AM
I get a lot of my general mechanical info from my Dad. Since he has two college degrees in automotive I think I'll listen to him over you!

And btw, our cars don't use Ethylene Glycol coolant. That's the green stuff. Like I said, another expert.:rolleyes:

Sprucegagt
03-30-2004, 10:04 AM
I get a lot of my general mechanical info from my Dad. Since he has two college degrees in automotive I think I'll listen to him over you!

And btw, our cars don't use Ethylene Glycol coolant. That's the green stuff. Like I said, another expert.:rolleyes:

That's nice to know about your dad. I learned my info from my dad. He has been working in both the automotive and aircraft fields for over 40 years. Licensed A&P as well. He has rebuilt or repaired almost any type of engine out there from lawnmowers engines to any type of automobile engine to radial engines to jet turbines. I think he would know something about this as well.

Oh, yeah you also have not looked on the back of a bottle of dexcool lately have you. Main ingredient ETHYLENE GLYCOL!!! Don't believe me check here (http://www.havoline.com/products/na/antifreeze_01.html) :eek:

The difference between traditional antifreeze and dexcool is that dexcool is nitrite-, nitrate-, phosphate-, silicate-, borate and amine-free, also the color is different. Your expert has spoken! :thumbsdow :asshat :banghead

fastdad1955
03-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Oh Oh get me my slicker looks like a ****in' match (my dad knows more than your dad) LoL.....let's hope it dies down to a sprinkle i would hate to be caught between the two of you....so I am going to go get dryed off ......LoL