Installed CAI...BUT [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Installed CAI...BUT

michslpgt
03-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Ok, so yesterday I installed my Dr. Speed CAI and Pro-M MAF on the new GT. After intallation, I started the car up and it was runnin a little rough at idle, which I expected because of the new sensor. So I get it the rest of the car together and take it down the road to test it out. I apply about mid throttle and first shift from 2-3 bangs really hard, so does every shift after that. Im now thinkin that the MAF is doing this, car is still learning. After about 4 miles I pull back in my driveway and let it idle, I hear this horrible sound coming from the engine bay. After openin the hood I determine that the sound is coming from the tranny. Its kind of a grinding, loose rattle. I Checked the tranny at the fill cap and it didnt smell burnt. Strange sound, no idiot lights. HMMM So I change MAF back to stock. Still does it. What happened? If it helps I was having the 1-2 sloppy shift prolly due to TPS or Pressure Control Selenoid. Thanks

Kdawg207
03-30-2004, 07:42 AM
did u reset .....unhook the batt

michslpgt
03-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of that.

luniz
03-30-2004, 07:47 AM
I have heard from a few people including myself, that after hooking up the CAI, your tranny will behave differently until your car learns the new mods. So basically about a tank worth of gas, your car should behave normally.

Kdawg207
03-30-2004, 07:47 AM
did ya leave it unhooked for a good time...also....leave yur headlights turned on when you unhook the batt...this also I'm told helps kill the remaining juice for accessories...i dunno

that's what i was told...

action
03-30-2004, 07:48 AM
Leave the battery disconnected for at least 1/2 hour to reset the computer.

Then again, it could just be coincidental. I've used a CAI in the summer months for the last 3 years with 0 problems. Never tried a new MAF, so I can't say for sure.

IF this doesn't work and you bring the car to the dealer for service (especially under warranty), replace the stock air box and MAF to save any possible hassle. Some dealers are a$$'s about aftermarket stuff.

michslpgt
03-30-2004, 08:08 AM
I will give all this a shot when I get home today after work. If everything fails I guess I will reinstall stock and see if it still does it.

Sprucegagt
03-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Also double check all of your electrical connections.

Slim
03-30-2004, 10:36 AM
You don't even need to disconnect the battery. There's a fuse in the underhood box you can pull. I don't remember the number, but it's labelled ECM on the diagram on the underside of the cover. Has the same effect as pulling the battery and you don't have to reset your clock. (I know, I'm lazy. lol).

michslpgt
03-31-2004, 05:20 AM
When I got home yesterday I checked the connections and hooked the batt back up. I think it sat for about 6 hrs unhooked. Took it for a drive, and after the tranny got warm it started the grinding loose rattle again. The shifts were still really hard, even when tranny was cold. I'm thinking, its just breaking in. This morning I come to work and it throws an SES light. Should I be worried, or is this somewhat normal? I have the worst luck with this stuff.

michslpgt
03-31-2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by luniz
I have heard from a few people including myself, that after hooking up the CAI, your tranny will behave differently until your car learns the new mods. So basically about a tank worth of gas, your car should behave normally.

How differently?

Mike Jung
03-31-2004, 10:23 AM
Get the OBD II code read off of the PCM.

I also think you should check the I.A.T. harness/sensor.

Having hard shifts like that can't be healthy.

michslpgt
03-31-2004, 10:35 AM
I drove it to work today. I just take it really easy so it dont shift too hard. Its putting it in rev/drive from park that jolts so bad. Im going to Autozone today to see what the code is.

Mike Jung
03-31-2004, 11:06 AM
Check out this thread:

Service Engine Soon Light with codes (Replace IAT Sensor Connector) #02-06-03-005 (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9001)

Dr_Kyle
03-31-2004, 12:01 PM
^^ that's my guess.

michslpgt
03-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanx guys. After checking out the threat Mike referred me to, it looks like that may be my problem.

schizm99
03-31-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm thinking a bearing hub...but let us know when ya get it fixxed..

michslpgt
04-01-2004, 06:43 AM
Went to Autozone after work yesterday pulled the IAT code, paid 9.00 for new sensor. Works great now. Dont know why the old sensor went out when I changed to the CAI. Works like a charm now! The tranny noise went away and im back to smooth shifts. Thanks for the replies.

action
04-01-2004, 08:08 AM
Just lucky I guess!!!

That stuff happens all the time.

AznGA
04-06-2004, 01:01 PM
New IAT sensor is only $9?

brdrxtreme
04-06-2004, 03:46 PM
the hard shifting was the pressure in ur tranny go sky high, the tps , iat and whatever sensor triggers ur trannys pressure are all tied into together. I had the same prob on my 99 when i went from cai back to stock. Just thought i would share that :) Glad u got her fixed that tranny shifting is sickening feeling.

elim
04-07-2004, 08:26 AM
New IAT sensor is only $9?
Autozone Part#: SU176

Price: $8.99