New car, new to the forums (well, sort of) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New car, new to the forums (well, sort of)

Orange Fusion
03-31-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi all!

I've been lurking on the forums for about a week now as I was working with a dealership on a deal for a Grand Am...started off looking at a silver SE1, ended up buying a Fusion Orange Metallic GT sedan last night. :)

So far I really enjoy the car.

PACE
03-31-2004, 08:11 AM
Congrats and Welcome:thumbs:

Orange Fusion
04-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Thanks!

I traded in a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon that I had for almost 5 years and 117,000 miles. It was a decent car, but I really like the Grand Am much better. Plus I needed the extra room for the kids. Nothing like hearing them complain about no room in the back seats! :D

UNCTYPE-S
04-03-2004, 01:09 PM
welcome and congrats on the new car. any plans for it, as far as aftermarket goes?

luniz
04-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Nice color choice. From my experiences from Hyundai cars (rentals of course) is that their seats suck. The GA seats are much better.

Orange Fusion
04-03-2004, 04:01 PM
I definitely want to upgrade the exhaust, and I'm still working through the older posts on the forum regarding the ram air vs. CAI. I'll probably do the strut tower braces, and maybe the sway bars as well. I would like to update the ECU , but I am still looking at options there.

My Tiburon had decent seats, and they had more side support than my Grand Am does, but on longer trips the GA's seats are MUCH better.

Orange Fusion
04-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Now that I have had the car for a little over a week, I love it. It handles great, accelerates great, is far more comfortable than my old car was.

I do have a n00b question here...I read through the links that were posted regarding a CAI vs. the Ram Air controversy. Since I am new to the GA, and the V6, how effective is the Ram Air in reality? The links I read didn't really help with my confusion any at all...I know GM's stats show a 5hp gain, and 10 lb-ft of torque with the Ram Air, but my question is this: are the gains they show coming from a different ECU, or from the Ram Air system on the car?

Esco301
04-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Nice choice.. I was weary about the orange fusion when it first came out.. Now I'm a big fan. nice color. I have a 03' GT with a CIA... much better than the ram air. Performance and sound. My dad has a silver 03 GT he drove my car the other day... " Damn Esco what did you do to your car.... It sounds niiiiccccccee......" (not the answer your looking for but I thought I'd share.)

luniz
04-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Basically speaking, the RAM Air is a gimmick. The way the tubing is, almost negates any benefits. Also the air inlets are not placed in the best spot. The 5 hp difference could be in the different exhuast I believe. And the gearing is a lil different then the SE's, but I don't think that would give any extra hp.

Orange Fusion
04-07-2004, 12:39 PM
I figured it was a gimmick, and I know the gearing wouldn't give any hp or torque gains, but can affect 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

On a dyno, without being able to simulate the same air flow as the car would have at speed, there shouldn't be a difference in HP and torque ratings on the ram air versions vs a non-ram air 3400...that's why I wondered if it was maybe the programming of the ECU, or something else different on the engine for them to be able to legally claim the increases in power.