Head Gasket leak ??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket leak ???

Gamguy
03-31-2004, 02:08 PM
Hey guys I have a 1999 Grand Am Gt with 80k on it and have a problem. I either have a blown head gasket or intake gasket. Cylinder #1 is filling with coolant and fouling the plug but the tech said it could very well be the intake gasket but may be the head gasket. How can I know without going into it? Head Gaskets aren't known to go on these right? Intakes are though right?

I may try to tackle this myself as I'm an ex-mechanic for trucks, cars, garage doors and motorcycles. I only work on motorcycles now in my free time. is either a tough job?

I was told $1400-1500 bucks for the Head Gasket and $600 for the intake. Sounds real high ..don't it?

Any help would help

Thanks

balludc
03-31-2004, 05:15 PM
head gasket leaks are kinda common in the grand ams.. i have a head gasket leak too... they quotes me about $1400. I still think thats high. i'd guess a shop could do it for 1000?... parts are only about 400-500 dollars.

What i'm doing though is driving my car til it explodes (or whatever it will do), then replacing the engine. My engine has 161,000 miles on it and it's not worth fixing the gasket leak now. might as well get something new.

as for repairing it yourself.... the head gasket is deep inside your engine, but is do-able for a driveway mechanic. you also have to realize if something happens that hurts the engine, you're SOL. having a shop do it will have a warranty behind it, and imo, sometimes worth the money.

good luck though! i'm in the boat ;)

-dc

Gt00
03-31-2004, 06:31 PM
More than likely a LIM gasket , really common on the 3.4 , They like to leak at the coolant passages ( like around # 1 cyl area) . If it's a head gasket you'd get bubbles in the cooling system when it's running . ;)

Gamguy
03-31-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the reply :thumbs:

I found a guy that knows the 3.4 motor pretty well and will do what ever it needs cheap and does great work from the people I've talked to. He is going to fully test it with dye to find the exact problem .

Hoping for the best:)

Mike

balludc
03-31-2004, 06:46 PM
also, a way to check if its a head gasket leak.... look at the o2 sensor. it should be off colored (bluish) if that is leaking

-dc