Security Light problem (Passlock) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Security Light problem (Passlock)

JnJLo
04-01-2004, 07:46 AM
My car hasn't been able to start up lately. I've noticed that the security light has been on shortly before and after this happens. The manual states that this light will appear when there is a problem with the Passlock anti-theft system. Does anybody know what the problem could be???

ND4SPDIII
04-01-2004, 07:48 AM
holy shiit *welcome* more people from tx woo hoo

mzrmatt
04-01-2004, 08:10 AM
*welcome*
I don't know what the problem could be,

but I am glad to see someone else from Texas.

Not many of us here :thumbs:

iceman
04-01-2004, 08:21 AM
There's not much you can troubleshoot on your own w/ this problem.. unless you have an aftermarket alarm / remote start installed. do you?

JnJLo
04-01-2004, 08:29 AM
I don't an "alarm" of any sort, just the GM factory Passlock. I don't have remote start either, but I do have two keyless entry remotes...one of them recently went dead. Dumb question? Could this dead remote in any way be related to the Security light coming on? I changed the battery in the remote and it still doesn't won't work.

iceman
04-01-2004, 08:33 AM
You'll probably have to reprogram the remote, how to do that has been posted around here somewhere (search). Other than that, do you ever get an SVS or just a security light?

AleroME
04-01-2004, 12:35 PM
its a defective ignition key cylinder. I have that same problem but I just live with the security light on 24/7 and sometimes passlock kicks in with the 10 min wait to reset it. Yes you can change it out and reuse your old key.. but you need take it apart and switch the internals that is keyed your car.. or just have it re-keyed in the new cylinder.

luniz
05-06-2004, 06:55 PM
its a defective ignition key cylinder. I have that same problem but I just live with the security light on 24/7 and sometimes passlock kicks in with the 10 min wait to reset it. Yes you can change it out and reuse your old key.. but you need take it apart and switch the internals that is keyed your car.. or just have it re-keyed in the new cylinder.

I believe that during my warranty my key cylinder was replaced because you could not turn the key at all. The security light has been on periodically for the past couple of days. As I was leaving my house because I was already late for finals, my car wouldn't start. I saw the security light on. The car wanted to start and for a split second it seemed like it was running, but the computer killed it. So I had no other choice but to leave the car and head to school. I read the manual where it mentioned waiting 10 minute before attempting to start it. My dad waited a half an hour and it still woulndn't start. Eventually after about an hour later he tried and it started right up. My security light has not came on since. I have an alarm and remote started hooked up and have given me no problems for about a year. Is it more then likely just the alarm where the brain could be going bad, or would it still be the defective ignition key cylinder? I know its a toss up, just wanting to see the likely hood of the cause given the symptoms.

BULLITT
05-07-2004, 07:47 AM
my wifes car has this same exact problem, as a matter of fact it was this morning it did it. and two weeks ago it did it. Security light comes on and she doesn't have an alarm or anything this is completely stock 99 Grand Am SE 2door. with abaout 60,000 miles on her. So? can i replace this sensor myself? Does it have to go to dealer(which is very expensive)....???? and it is exactly what you all are saying it cuts the fuel pump off and just sits there and cranks forever, so i take off the battery cable reset the computer and within 2-3 minutes it usually starts right up....??? Can I fix this cheap?