Torqued off a lug nut?!?! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Torqued off a lug nut?!?!

MSJHWT
04-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Okay, so I was going to clean my air filter on my CAI...and I torqued off one of my lug nuts. The screw is in the lug nut, it's broken in half!? Think this should be covered under warrenty....I mean, I just went to "change a flat tire" :)

Dr_Kyle
04-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Meh, it happens. I've snapped one of mine off before. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and spending an hour or two to do it yourself, it won't cost you more than like 2 bucks to fix.

If the dealer won't warranty it, expect to pay about $80.

If you have $80 to spare, I'd take it to the dealer. My $.02 :thumbs:

MSJHWT
04-01-2004, 04:25 PM
I'll spend the time to do it myself....but what would I need to do it? Just the screw (part number)/tools and then would I remove the brake caliper, and the rotor and...? Is it fairly difficult or just time consuming? I'd rather do it myself. Also, just 4 should keep me on the road tomorrow?

Dr_Kyle
04-01-2004, 04:49 PM
yeah, 4 will be okay as long as you aren't going 80 mph around turns, etc. It's mostly just time consuming, but pressing the new bolt in is a bit of a pain. I did it on mine and it's wasn't horrible. There's a HOW TO on here somewhere for it... if I find it , I'll post a link.

Dr_Kyle
04-01-2004, 04:53 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=95049#post95049

I don't know if he mentioned it, but you can rotate the wheel to a spot where you won't have to remove the hub or anything, there's enough room to use the C-clamp. It's just forward of the top I believe, I don't remember exactly.

MSJHWT
04-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Sweet, Thanks Dr.Kyle! :)

illsmokeyou
04-01-2004, 05:31 PM
it will take you $10 and no more than 30 minutes of your time

$10 was for the GM lugnut and stud

drain out some of your brake fluid with a trukey baster, use a giant C clamp to compress your calipers, use and open ended wrench and a 12 mm socket to remove your calipers, hang them out of the way, then 2 13 mm bolts hold your caliper braket on, then you can remove your rotor.

take a rubber mallet, or hammer, and back the broken stud out of the hub, then use the same procedure to get the new stud in, and reverse the process, fill back your brake fluid.

I doubt youll get warranty to cover it, GM finds ANY way they can to back out of a warranty repair, and theyll just say your a tough guy and over torqued your lug ;) therefore warranty denied

MSJHWT
04-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Sweet, Thanks to both you guys! :) I'm going to get the lug/bolt tomorrow and do the repair myself :) Got to get a C-Clamp, too, don't have any of thoes, maybe Autozone will have one I can rent, I have to take back the spring compressors I rented from them anyway tomorrow, if not I'll just go buy one, maybe it'll be something useful to have around the house :)

preed4962
04-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Dont waste your time using a hammer to bang the thing back in again, use a lug nut to 'pull' the stud back into the hub, much easier. If you have never added brake fluid to your car, you shouldn't have to take anyout, just watch the level. IF you do take out the fluid, be VERY careful, destroys paint almost instantly.