child safety windows question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : child safety windows question

tonmarchelli
04-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Is it possible to disable the child safety windows on a 4 door so the rear windows will roll all the way down? if so, how do you do it?
Thx:confused:

ruckus63
04-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Normally you can't get the window all the way down as the rear wheel well comes too far forward and it isn't a full sixed door, like the front doors. Thus they stop as there isn't 'nuff door for the window to go down into.

action
04-12-2004, 09:16 AM
The rear windows in our cars only stick up like an inch or so, I wouldn't worry about it.

That being said, with the 4 door sunfires, you can take off the door panel and unbolt a huge chunk of steel and foam. Doing so lets you roll the back windows completly down. There may be a similar set up in the GA's.

tonmarchelli
04-12-2004, 10:06 AM
The rear windows in our cars only stick up like an inch or so, I wouldn't worry about it.

really, when i roll my windows down all the way in the back, i have like 4 inches sticking up. weird. :wtf

action
04-12-2004, 11:07 AM
That's strange, I just double checked, and they stick up just slightly less than 1". Haul the door panel off and see whats going on in there!!!

tonmarchelli
04-12-2004, 11:28 AM
i might have to do that, i have an 03, any difference, and it does it on both sides. oh well

#20DaMan
04-12-2004, 03:55 PM
really, when i roll my windows down all the way in the back, i have like 4 inches sticking up. weird. :wtf

My rear passenger door was doing this. The driver side was fine. I took the door panel off and there was this blue plastic part in the window track. i took it out and the window goes down the normal distance now. I was deployed last year, and before I left the rear pass. window was making baad noise. My now ex took the car to the dealership and I am not sure what they did, but it was fixed, except the window not going down the right distance. After I took the blue clip thing out, the window does not makie any noise, and works fine. Check for the blue clip thingy.

2002AmSE
04-12-2004, 04:42 PM
My 2002's back windows are about 4 inches up when they are "all the way down."

The 1999 that we have goes about an inch from the bottom. The doors look the same though, maybe they changed it for safety, or some kind of smaller track to save money or something.

action
04-13-2004, 07:38 AM
GM wouldn't spend the money to redesign the window tracks. My bet is that they glued/rivted/bolted a stop in the existing track that can be easily removed.

#20DaMan
04-13-2004, 09:11 AM
GM wouldn't spend the money to redesign the window tracks. My bet is that they glued/rivted/bolted a stop in the existing track that can be easily removed.

That is kind of what I am talking about with the blue clip thingy. It is right smak in the middle of the window track.

tonmarchelli
04-13-2004, 09:28 AM
that seems about right, how do you take off the door panel. just a few screwes here and there. thanks for all the input guys.

action
04-13-2004, 09:32 AM
See N-body.net - technical help section.

#20DaMan
04-13-2004, 09:34 AM
There is a screw under the reflector, one under the window switch, and one right under the pull handle. Make sure you take off the cover behind the opener lever thing. THen it jus pulls off, you might have to carefully pry though. The door panel is held on by white plugs, kind of like the ones holding the Ram Air Shroud on.

rizer
04-13-2004, 10:27 AM
they do make a door panel clip remover. Paid 8 bucks for it at autovalue and made it soo much easier.

Should mention, the window switch is held in by metal clips, just stick a flat head under one side and pull up. Same with the tweeter if you have one in the corner, it just pulls out. Just dont do like i did and not notice the wire running to the trunk release button on the door. :)