Bad Throttle Position Sensor? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bad Throttle Position Sensor?

Red99GAGT1
04-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Driving my car today and it was fine until i went to the automatic wash, i didnt have the time to do it myself, had to get the gf. After the wash i noticed my car was shifting funny, it didnt want to shift until a little 3k rpms in the lower gears. I also noticed that my rpms at 50 were higher than usual. When i got to my gf's house and stopped the car, the rpms were at a tick under 1k, and when i put the car in park, it jumped to about 1200-1300 rpms and the car was plenty warm. Driving around some more, all this went away. Then we went to the store and on the way back home it started doin the same thing again. I am wondering if this is my throttle position sensor, it was changed about 2000 miles ago when i had my engine replaced. Or if its not my throttle position sensor, what could cause this?

Thanks for the help

Stix
04-03-2004, 06:01 PM
You said it didn't want to shift, what were you shfiting into? drive? or some other gear?

Red99GAGT1
04-03-2004, 10:37 PM
No, the car itself seems that it doesnt want to shift, i have it in drive, and when i take off from a stop, it hesitates to shift out of the lower gears. And I just got back from driving it tonight to take the gf back home, and on the way out there i could not get the car to slow down under 1500 rpms, at a stop or anything. Then when i was on a flat strip of road, i noticed that when i hit the brakes the rpms jumped up, not slow down like the should have. Then once i got onto her street, for the hell of it, i put it in neutral, and the rpms jumped all the way to almost 3000 rpms. I shut the car off once i got into her driveway, had it off for about a minute, turned it back on and the car was fine. So now i am all confused about what it could possibly be.

Dr_Kyle
04-03-2004, 11:17 PM
It might be a stuck IAC valve (stuck open in this case) but I'm not sure. It would explain the surging, but at higher rpm's and driving, it shouldn't change much. :confused:

Red99GAGT1
04-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Could it be that something in the cruise control is interfering with the throttle? I am not use to all these new bells and whistles with this car yet, i am used to more simple engines!

SilverGAGT04
04-03-2004, 11:47 PM
MAP sensor, vacuum leak, coolant temp sensor, low fuel pressure or even a slipping trans. Just a few things that would cause it.

IAmCanadian
04-04-2004, 09:01 AM
I had that happen to mine. Cold idle was up around 2400rpm. Actually that was also warm idle. When it didn't clear itself and the idle had shot of up 3000rpm, I pulled the fuse on the PCM for a couple minutes, then pluged it back in. Been idling normal ever since.

-Wild Joker-
07-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Where is the fuse on the PCM?

IAmCanadian
07-14-2004, 04:42 PM
Where is the fuse on the PCM?

On my 97, the fuse was acutally in the fuse panel. Open the drivers door and it's on the side of the dash. See the diagram to find out which one for the PCM.

2002AmSE
07-14-2004, 05:15 PM
You dont need to worry about the fuse, just pull the negative battery wire off for a minute and put it back in. It's easier and it does the same thing.