Painting Inside of Taillight [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Painting Inside of Taillight

JohnnyB4439
04-03-2004, 09:45 PM
I cleared my taillights today and i noticed that the inside look pretty nasty when i wiped off the dirt and whatnot the silver finish wore off so now i need to paint it. But i was wondering what type of paint to use i want something around silver or so (keep the same color from before) but i dont want to get the wrong paint and it end of not working. I searched for it but didnt get what i was looking for. Any help would be appeciated. Thanks!

AaronGAGT
04-03-2004, 11:45 PM
I replied to your PM. To be honest... spraying the inside of the taillight to get the same chrome finish is really hard... at least for me it was. I ran into the same problem as you-some of the finish wore off and I tried to spray with chrome spray paint and it looked cheap.

JohnnyB4439
04-04-2004, 12:50 PM
I bought some plastic primer to put on there then some chrome rustolium paint. Is it worth using that chrome stuff? Will it fade or dull? or should i go with a silver?

Panacea
04-04-2004, 04:07 PM
I don't know the answer to the chrome rustoleum question, but the stops rust version is industrial strength, so I would assume it should be good. It's an interior/exterior paint so it should hold up to the weather changes and sunlight.

tenspeed
04-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Anything in a spray can will look silver. That may be good enough or you can try "chrome" tape or have the plastic sent out to be chrome plated.

Amber99ga
04-04-2004, 05:48 PM
I sprayed the inside of mine with chrome paint when I cleared them b/c they looked the same way you said yours did. They look good spray painted but chrome spray paint won't give you as much of a glossy shiny silver as what the stock insides look like. But it definately looks better than spotted taillights.

illsmokeyou
04-05-2004, 05:52 AM
remember the inside of the taillights on the SE's are silver, NOT chrome as opposed to the GT. I would suggest painting them the gaxaly silver metallic color

PACE
04-05-2004, 06:08 AM
Chrome tail lights = teh ghey

Paint them the color of your car. I used plasticoat spray paint and it worked great!

action
04-05-2004, 07:37 AM
DON"T PAINT THEM THE COLOUR OF YOUR CAR. They are the reflectors for your tails, with them colour matched then you will not be able to see the lights when they're lit.

Alteza's are different. They place the bulb in its own housing and raflector (usually one for brake, signal and reverse,) then paint the area between the lights colour matched. Looks OK and the lights are still bright.

If you want to colour match the factory raflectors, I'd reccommend taping off ~3/4 - 1" around each bulb, leave that chrome to make the lights bright, and then paint the remaining colour match.

As for painting the entire stock reflectors, rustoleum chrome paint will work fine, I'll warn you now that it doesn't come out as shiny as factory chrome, but it will do the job.

PACE
04-05-2004, 07:45 AM
^wtf

I though everyone these days used LED's ! And LED's have no reflective properties at all..........:duh:

EDIT: if you have shiney chrome tail lights with faded APC bulbs in them as well, you are teh ghey x 2.

action
04-05-2004, 07:59 AM
I have stock because I think cleared is ghey x infinity!!!! Not to bash anyone else's ride, each their own kinda deal.

Around here everyone is switching back to regular incandecants because like you said, LED's have no reflective properties and are very difficult to see in daylight/dusk hours. A court case was recently won by an individual who rearended the car in front of him/her because they could't see the indication of braking!!!

When it comes down to it, brake lights are a more important to me for safety, rather than style.

PACE
04-05-2004, 08:03 AM
lol

Trust me. My LED's cost like $60 from Jamstraight...(I bought the "mega-bright" ones. Or somthing like that) They can bee seen and are undoubtubly brighter than stock bulbs.......but this is all off-topic.