Set the delayed headlamps? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Set the delayed headlamps?

rizer
04-05-2004, 01:37 AM
Hello, just bought a 99 GAGT and trying to figure this delayed headlights deal. Right now they do not stay on when i shut car off, would come in handy if i could get it to work. Owners book says to turn it off, turn the signal/multifunction lever (Is this the blinker lever?) up then down to off. How can i make so the lights stay on for the 20 seconds?
Thanks!

action
04-05-2004, 07:40 AM
They should do it automatically. When you do the signal lever thing, you have to turn on the park lights and then turn them off again AFTER YOU SHUT YOUR CAR OFF. This will only cancel them that one time though.

If they are not working on your car, first thing to check is that every bulb is working on the car. Relpace aney that are burnt out, don't forget to check both hi & lo headlights, parklights and fogs too!!!

rizer
04-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Well, the daytime runners shut off when its in park and when I turn car off, the lights stay off. When I lock it, the parking lights flash twice. I also tried leaving the lights on period and getting out and locking door, they never shut off either.

ssc116
04-05-2004, 06:49 PM
If I turn my lights off before I turn the car off, my lights stay on. If car before lights, they go off.

rizer
04-05-2004, 07:29 PM
hrm, tried that, no go.

AznGA
04-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Ok are you doing this during the day or night?

rizer
04-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Im not that dumb :P

Night of course

AznGA
04-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to be an ass. I was just wondering because you didn't mention it.
:)

rizer
04-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by AznGA
Sorry, didn't mean to be an ass. I was just wondering because you didn't mention it.
:)

Not taken*banana*

Vintalage
04-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Leave it in auto at night. Turn to on. Turn to off. Tell me what happens?

rizer
04-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Vintalage
Leave it in auto at night. Turn to on. Turn to off. Tell me what happens?

they stay off

Esco301
04-06-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm Confused.. Mine stay on when I turn my car off... I want them to go off when Car goes off.. If you guys ever figure this one out let me know.. like I said I'm Confused.

rizer
04-06-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Esco301
I'm Confused.. Mine stay on when I turn my car off... I want them to go off when Car goes off.. If you guys ever figure this one out let me know.. like I said I'm Confused.

From what these guys are saying, shut your car off first, then shut your headlights off. If you shut your lights off while the car is running, then they'll stay on once u get out of car for 20 seconds.
Correct me if im wrong someone

iceman
04-06-2004, 09:14 AM
If your headlights are not coming on automatically at night then sounds like your ALS is busted.

Vintalage
04-06-2004, 10:55 AM
^^^based on his reply, if you turn on your headlights manually at night when the car is running, then turn the car off followed by turning the headlights off, what happens?

iceman
04-06-2004, 11:14 AM
That's an unnecesary step.. If you turn the car on at night, and the headlights don't come on in the first place.. there's your answer right there.

brdrxtreme
04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Your car is broken buy a new one!! :)

SC/TGrandAm
04-06-2004, 04:20 PM
You dont have an SVS light on ?

Like Iceman said your ALS are fried or something. You need to double check all the fuses again for the ALS's and make sure they arent blown. Might check DRL fuses while your at it.

ssc116
04-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Is your emergency brake engaged?

rizer
04-06-2004, 05:36 PM
lol, lets see, hopin in the car, starting it, putting lights on then putting into drive then into park then shutting the light switch off, then car off- equals lights shutting off when car shuts off.

Guess i'll have to cehck fuses

action
04-07-2004, 07:58 AM
When you start your car in the night time, (with handbrake off) the lights should come on automatically. If the handbrake is on, the lights will come on as soon as the handbrake is released.

You should never have to use your light switch to turn your lights on at night. I only use the switch to turn lights on during fog/snowstorms or when I want the lights on without releasing the handbrake.

With the system working correctly, when you come home and turn off your car at night the manual light switch should ALREADY BE OFF. The headlights will remain on for ~20 seconds more. To disable this 20 sec delay (for one time only) you just use the manual head light switch and flick them on and off again to cancel the delayed lights.

If your auto headlights are not working, neither will the delayed hedlights.

I'd start checking all fuses in all 3 fuse panels (each end of the dash and under the hood). Next pull out the front window defroster grill and inspect the module there that senses light and operates the auto headlights. My freinds went defective and replacing that module fixed his system.