2 Questions (About Engine & Lowering Springs) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions (About Engine & Lowering Springs)

Krome04
04-05-2004, 06:36 AM
First question, about lowering springs.... okay i got the B&G Lowering springs and i put 'em on, well the front looked nice and the back... well looked like sh!t so i went ahead and cut a coil off the back two and put 'em back on. Well the passenger side (rear) was like an inch up higher than the other side... the left rear looks nice but the right rear looks so horrible... any ideas of why the back rear is so much higher?? It looks like it did back when i first put 'em on and it didn't have time to settle...

Second question, aight, well i hop in my car and drive around and give it some time to warm up so the RPMs idol at around 5500 in park and drive like normal... well sometimes i notice when im drivin around and stop that when im almost ready to stop its kinda too hard to brake... like its pullin itself.... so i looked at the RPMs and they're up at 11-1200 RPMS!! So i pull over and put it in park and it stays there... so i turn off my car and start it and it still does it so i go ahead and continue driving and then all of sudden at another stop light it goes back to normal... but then at the next stoplight it'll go up all of sudden... it's done this for about 3 days now... i have Nitrous installed on it and thought maybe it could be the T's for some reason so i unhooked the Nitrous and put it back to normal and it still does it... any ideas what is causing my car to do this? Otherwise it drives normal.. and does kinda give me a better launch :D

mr_eh
04-05-2004, 06:55 AM
is it possible for the nitrous to damage the throttle body plate that could screw with idling? i mean could something in the intake get blasted at the plate while frozen? i dont know anything about nitrous or nothin but that seems like common sense if nitrous works like i think it does...

when you cut the springs are you sure you cut them in the same exact spot?

iceman
04-05-2004, 07:04 AM
You cut springs and are wondering why they don't look right ???

For the high idle - it can be a number of things, search around here I remember some good content around on that subject. IAC / vac along those lines.

Krome04
04-05-2004, 07:04 AM
is it possible for the nitrous to damage the throttle body plate that could screw with idling? i mean could something in the intake get blasted at the plate while frozen? i dont know anything about nitrous or nothin but that seems like common sense if nitrous works like i think it does...

when you cut the springs are you sure you cut them in the same exact spot?

^LOL yea, i made sure i cut 'em in the same exact place!

i haven't had the chance to spray my nitrous yet... cuz of a friend who knocked over my bottle on my metal bed rail and cracked it... but the throttle is full (100%) so i doubt that could happen unless it was bouncing around and it bounced up right when it was going into the throttle and hit the plate... dunno!?!

Krome04
04-05-2004, 07:06 AM
You cut springs and are wondering why they don't look right ???

to begin with they where lowering springs and i only cut one coil off... i doubt that would cause it to be off wack as much as it is. Its kinda like it hasn't settled yet... but its been 2 weeks.

iceman
04-05-2004, 07:07 AM
Oh you cut them in the same exact place, nevermind then that should work

:rolleyes: NOT.

Try again with some springs that look good to you without cutting them. Cutting springs is the absolute worst thing you can ever to do your suspension. They are made to work in their entirety, when you go cutting them you'll change spring rates, all that other jazz, etc.. and it will be crap in the long run.

Put your stock springs back on or get some new ones, and keep them away from sharp objects this time.

Originally posted by Krome04
to begin with they where lowering springs and i only cut one coil off... i doubt that would cause it to be off wack as much as it is. Its kinda like it hasn't settled yet... but its been 2 weeks.

thats exactly why it is "wack as much as it is"

Krome04
04-05-2004, 07:15 AM
so you're saying... that when i cut that spring it expanded which is why one side is higher than the other which was cut the same? You kinda lost me.....

iceman
04-05-2004, 07:18 AM
I'm saying, they are not meant to be cut. If you cut them, don't expect anything to work properly or look right.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=560348

Krome04
04-05-2004, 07:25 AM
aight, thank you for the link... thats much better than "you cut springs and you wonder why they dont look right!"

jordanGT
04-05-2004, 04:43 PM
what'd you cut 'em with? lowriders have been cutting springs since forever ago, and guys with hydraulics still do quite often, and most are able to get their car to sit level. you had to do something wrong cutting them.

coupe
04-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Some what off topic but dosent eibach springs come with marks for where you can cut them?

Gt00
04-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Cutting coils off springs will increase the spring rate . And cause your car to handle improperly . This is the old backyard cheapo way to do it , and the results are just the same . :eek:

Krome04
04-05-2004, 05:52 PM
i used a grinder...

coupe
04-05-2004, 06:47 PM
But dosent eibach come with pre selected marks for cutting? Why would such a high end spring come with pre selected cutting spots if it would be seriously a big mistake?

jordanGT
04-05-2004, 08:34 PM
did one spring take a much longer amount of time than the other one? i thought maybe you'd used a torch and the heat had compressed one of the springs beyond what you cut off. i'd take 'em out and give them a visual inspection first. if they look the same, swap sides. put the back right spring on the back left and vice versa. if the height difference moves to the other side, the springs are off; if not, it's something else, of course, I can think of no other possible culprits, so I'm guessing the problem would move with the springs. Give it a try.

Dr_Kyle
04-05-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm guessing it's not on the strut mount and/or perch right. Either way, don't cut your springs.. ever.

Do a search for the surging RPM, it has been brought up a lot, even recently. If you have further problems with the spring, post in the suspension forum for more help.