Anyone use their GA to tow??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use their GA to tow???

action
04-05-2004, 08:53 AM
This past fall I had to install a trailer hitch on my Y2K GA SE V6. Not much choice, sold my truck and I needed to be able to transport my Skidoo and Quad.

Bought a new HIDDEN Hitch, and I must say its a nice piece. All support bars go on top of the muffer (needed slight modification to my custom magnaflow installation) and the receiver is very well hidden. You can not see any supports, and just barely the receiver when the hitch is taken out!!!

Anyway I've been towing my skidoo all winter on a heavy duty single place, and ~6 trips over the highway with a double place trailer 2 skidoos, and the trunk/back seat full of gear for 5 days at the cabin.

Cars tows very well, maintaining speed even on long grades evven speeds ~110 km/h. Cars runs about 1 mark hotter temp wise, still well below danger level, fuel consumption will suck hard, but that's to be expected. I think these cars will hold up to this kind of abuse provided that you don't razz the **** out of it on long uphills.

Pretty cool, this car is my tow rig, my autocross racer, grocery getter, car meet night vechicle, cruiser, and daily driver. Very Versatile!!!

So anyone else use their cars as a multiputpose machine???

ken0042
04-05-2004, 11:36 AM
I had originally considered using the GA to tow when I first got it. I've since decided against it. I plan on keeping my car for a long time, and it just isn't worth the wear on the vehicle. I then looked at getting a different vehicle; like an Aztek, but with the extra cost it was going to be just as cheap to rent an SUV the 4 long weekends a year that I'd need it.

The one big enemy of towing is tranny heat. Did you throw on a tranny cooler when you istalled the hitch?

action
04-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Not yet, just had tranny rebuilt under warranty (before the trailer hitch!!!), and I've only been towing in the winter so far. If I do any amount of towing this summer I'll have to because the stock system probably won't keep up with the higher ambiant temperature.

timpontiac19
04-06-2004, 09:15 AM
I towed my 16ft boat with mine. I dont know if it was me, the towing or a little bit of both, but my orginal tranny was rebuilt, them that one exploded, and now i have a remanufactured one.

Tim