EGR Valve [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : EGR Valve

resevil83
04-05-2004, 02:03 PM
I have 38k on my Ga. and I got the p1404 auxillary emissions controll error. I took it into my mechanic and he said that my egr valve went bad. Is that possible this early? If so, can I just get a new egr valve and install it? Is there anything else I would need to do? Like replace the gasket along with it, or reporgram the computer. I guess I could just install the egr valve and take it to the dealership and have them recalibrate the computer.

I have no idea how to replace this, I know its upclose, looks easy to remove. But, do I need grease or anything to install this? I need a haynes manual!

Mike Jung
04-05-2004, 09:05 PM
P1404 = EGR Valve Closed Pintle Position

A scan tool is required for a complete testing of the EGR valve, control system & circuits.

According to the Haynes Repair Manual:
To check the EGR valve, use a ohm-meter to check the continuity of the EGR valve position sensor & the EGR solenoid coil.
Check for continuity across terminals 2 & 4 (EGR sensor) & across terminals 1 & 5 (EGR solenoid coil).
If either check reveals an open circuit, replace the EGR valve.
Note: the EGR valve terminals are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, (left to right)

But to change it, it seems easily described in the Haynes Repair Manual.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the EGR valve.
Remove the EGR valve mounting bolts.
Remove the EGR valve & gaskets.
Discard gaskets.
Use a gasket scaper, clean the EGR valve mounting surfaces.
Installation is the reverse of removal.

excitement
04-06-2004, 09:31 AM
I'm not sure what model year your car is but I'm pretty sure that was one of the error codes I got on my 01GT about a year ago. Turns out that there were new instructions for the PCM/VCM to handle false P1404 codes. The computer was updated and no more problems. Go to http://calid.gm.com/vci/VINEntryPre.do and enter in your VIN. It should tell you if a release was issued to fix P1404 codes.

resevil83
04-06-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm not to sure but my mechanic checked it out for me. He said that it was in fact corroded. So, I ordered the parts so I could do it myself. I am going to be extremely mad if he was going to rip me off. If he just checked the codes and said it was an egr problem and didnt even check the egr valve I'd be furious.

So I am just going to take it off myself. Can anyone tell me what I'd be looking for to see if it in fact is broken? I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money. If it is in good shape I will just ebay the parts I bought and take it to the dealership. If it is out of warranty will they reprogram my car for free?

excitement
04-06-2004, 12:52 PM
>If it is out of warranty will they reprogram my car for free?

It depends. Some dealers will update the PCM/VCM with the latest calibrations while doing normal maintenance. Some won't unless you are experiencing a problem (if it's not broken don't fix it) and there might be a small fee. Your best bet is to call the dealer and ask or have then look at the car and then give you an estimate.

resevil83
04-09-2004, 02:52 AM
welll I still haven't gotten a chance to call the dealer, however... I was just curious if I have to do anything besides just replace the egr valve. I am going to do the install this saturday so I'm hoping all goes well. So should I get a reprogram? should I use any sort of grease or composite on the gasket. Gasket grease? I have no clue about this install.. maybe someone can help me out?

resevil83
04-12-2004, 02:11 PM
The part comes in today. I am going to switch it out... I am going to assume I don't need a reprogram or anything. I am just plugging a new egr valve in. Does anyone know how tight I should make it? The torque specs on those bolts?

GAGT1TunerChix
01-30-2005, 11:04 AM
i have a 2001 gagt1 yesterday my car threw a check engine light at me so i went to my old work and used the OBDII and got the dealer code 1404, on my way home my car ate the gas like there was no tomorrow, i had 1/2 tank of gas and only drove under 100 miles and now my gas lights on. i've been doing alot of reading up on here and other places and i heard that its a manufactors fault on 2001 models. if i take it to the pontiac dealership and they erase the code will it be free or will they try and rip me off and tell me its closed shut and i have to get a new one? i'm really getting sick of this.....send me a privete thread and let me know if i'll get nailed with a charge or if it will be free since its a common problem....thanks:)

JuanG1226
03-30-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure what model year your car is but I'm pretty sure that was one of the error codes I got on my 01GT about a year ago. Turns out that there were new instructions for the PCM/VCM to handle false P1404 codes. The computer was updated and no more problems. Go to http://calid.gm.com/vci/VINEntryPre.do and enter in your VIN. It should tell you if a release was issued to fix P1404 codes.
what does that mean there when you say theres new instructions for the PCM/VCM. do you have to take it to the dealer to get it updated or what? im confused, i've never heard of any of this. my '01 gagt1 also came out with the P1404 code, and is now eating up a lot of gas. does that have to do with the egr valve or what?

resevil83
03-30-2006, 10:38 PM
yes, that has something to do with your egr valve. You cannot just replace the valve and go. The replacement was easy. But you must go to a dealer and tell them to update your computer. I ran into this problem recently.

Lab Rat
03-31-2006, 04:30 AM
The emissions system should be covered for 100000 miles. Federal law. And I am pretty sure the EGR is covered. So I would let the dealer fix this or any other emissions system problems. I remember a guy who got his catalytic converter done by the dealer with just under 100000 miles.