Code PO132 AND Trac Off Lights??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Code PO132 AND Trac Off Lights???

Rba007
04-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Ive got the PO132 (Oxygen sensor too high voltage, bank one), and a trac off light today...

This morning, after about 30 seconds of driving, both came on simaltaneously. I just had the code cleared, but again after a short period (maybe 3-4 minutes) the trac off light came on, however without its friend the SES light as well.

Any ideas on this one? I dont see how the o2 sensor and traction control would be related, but I wouldnt put anything past GM.

brdrxtreme
04-06-2004, 04:48 PM
My experiences with the trac light in my 99 were that just about anytime my car threw a code, or something electrical was wrong with it, that stupid light came on. fix that code and hopefully that trac light goes away.

Rba007
04-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Code fixed, light came back on... Stupid Machine.

Rba007
04-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Just went for another quick cruise to demonstrate the HIDs to my dad, and the SES is back. Still driving fine. Anyone have any ideas?

brdrxtreme
04-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Whatever is throwing that code is not that hard of a code and thats why your trac light is till coming on even when the ses light is not on. I got so sick and tired of seeing my trac light, once i cleared all the codes and fixed the part that was out it didnt come on antmore. clearing the code through the machiner at autozone will just erase it but doesnt fix the problem. The best thing to do is take it to a mechanic and pay 39.00 dollars or so and they will hook the car up to a diagnostic machine and can pinpoint the exact cause of the code and u can get it fixed. That is the way i got mine to go away, Your problem may be a wheel sensor or something. Best thing though is to get that car to a mechanic......thats my .02 thank you and have a nice day :)

RedGT2004
04-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Circuit Description

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) supplies a bias votage of approximately 450 mV between the HO2S signal and low circuits. When measured with a 10 megaohm DMM, this may display as low as 320 mV. The oxygen sensor varies the voltage withing a range of approximately 1000 mV when the exhaust is rich, to approximately 10 mV when exhaust is lean. The PCM constantly monitors the HO2S signal during Closed Loop operation and compensates for a rich or lean condition by decreasing or increasing the injector pulse with as necessary. If the HO2S 1 voltage reamians excessively high for an extended period of time, DTC P0132 will be set.

Conditions For Setting The DTC

HO2S 1 signal voltage remains above 975 mV for more than 50 secondsduring normal Closed Loop operation OR
HO2S 1 signal voltage reamins above 200 mV for more than 29 seconds during Deceleration Fuel mode operation.

RedGT2004
04-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Inspect the following items:

> Fuel Pressure - The system will go rich if the fuel pressure is too high. The PCM can compensate for som increase.

> Perform Injector Balance Test

> Inspect the EVAP canister for fuel saturation . If the canister is full of fuel, inspect the canister control and hoses.

> Disconnect the MAF sensor and see if rich condition is corrected. If it is, replace the MAF sensor.

> Inspect for a leaking fuel pressure regulator diaphragm by inspecting the vacuum line to the regulator for the presence of fuel.

> An intermittent TP sensor output will cause the system to go rich due to a false indication of the engine accelerating.

> Shorted Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) - If the HO2S is internally shorted the HO2S voltage displayed on the scan tool will be more than 1.0 volt. Disconnect the HO2S and jumper the H2OS low circuit to ground with the key ON, engine OFF. If the displayed HO2S voltage changes from more than 1000 mV to approximately 450 mV, replace the HO2S. Silicon contamination of the HO2S can also cause a high HO2S voltage to be indicated. This condition is indicated by a powdery white deposit on the portion of the HO2S that is exposed to the exhaust stream. If contamination is noticed, replace the affected HO2S.

> Open the HO2S signal or low cicuit or faulty HO2S - A faulty connection or an open in the HO2S signal or low circuit can cause teh DTC to set during deceleration Fuel mode. An HO2S which is faulty and not allowing a full voltage swing between the rich and lean thresholds can also cause this condition. Operate the vehicle while monitoring the HO2S voltage with a scan tool. If the HO2S voltage is limited with a range between 300 mV--600 mV, test the HO2S signal and the low circuit wiring and associated terminal connections. If the wiring and connections are OK, replace the HO2S.

Rba007
04-07-2004, 01:45 PM
That was in japanese or something id say.... Thanks for the info though. Anyone have any idea what that means?

RedGT2004
04-07-2004, 02:03 PM
I think what its basically saying that either your O2 sensor is broken or your car is running rich.

Rba007
04-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Ahhhhh, Thanks!

I pulled the sensor today, and It looked just fine. I also re-did all my splices for my a/f gauge as well. Also, When I bought the sensor, it was for the newer models, and the dealership told me they didnt even make ones with the older connector like I need anymore. So, I just cut off the connector that came with it and soldered on the connector I needed from my old sensor. Just cut one wire, solder on a different wire. Think that may have cause problems??

And, how would I really tell if it was running rich? We all know the A/F gauge really isnt good for too much. I havent made any engine mods since last summer, So I dont know what would have caused the change.

Thanks again for the help! The car runs perfectly fine, but these lights bother me (sucks being a perfectionist, as Im sure you know!).

-Dave

Rba007
04-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Trac Off light went away this evening, still got an SES though.

RedGT2004
04-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Is there anyway you can get a hold of a scanner?

Rba007
04-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Just what autozone has...

brdrxtreme
04-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Diagnostic machine.............diagnostic machine................diagnostic machine. Spend the money get her completely checked out.

Rba007
04-09-2004, 05:27 PM
One more question, wouldnt the car be running badly if the 02 sensor went bad?

Im asking, because I think I may have a water intrusion issue. The last two times ive washed my car, my power door locks have stopped working for a couple of hours. This SES light and Trac Off light came on after I washed my car at the beginning of this week... Any thoughts?

And sorry, i cant pay my dealer the 95 bucks they charge to plug it in just for a code that isnt effecting how my car's running. Ive been raped by them too many times.

RedGT2004
04-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Your gas milage will go down and you might loose some power.

Rba007
04-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Alright, I did notice my gas mileage was a "smidge" worse, and she doesnt feel as strong, but nothing anyone other than myself would notice. I should have the new sensor by 3 pm today, so ill let you know.

Rba007
04-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Trac Off light went off and stayed off after three starts today.

Rba007
04-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Code light turned off today... Its magic!

RedGT2004
04-11-2004, 05:25 PM
so was it the o2 sensor that was causing the problems?

Rba007
04-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Yup. The guy that installed my headers used one of those "quick crimp" things. I soldered the connection and now all is fine. Amazed it didnt give me problems sooner, ive had the headers for awhile now.