HUB bearing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HUB bearing

RAPTOR
04-07-2004, 02:02 PM
i have a 99 GT with 65000 miles,the front end is making this weird noise when over 40 mph,and gets louder as i speed up.how can i tell if it's my hub bearing,i need to check them to find out which one it is.the sound is hard to explain,not really grinding,but like a hollowing.sounds like a damn motorcycle under my hood at 65 mph.thanks guys for any help one this one

kubiache
04-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Well, if it's not a grinding, clunking, or something else rhythmic, then it may not be your hub bearing. But if you want to check to make sure, jack up the side with the noise (use a jackstand). Once the tire is clear of the groung, grab on each side of the tire and shake. Check for play. Then grab it on the top and bottom and do the same. If it moves a lot up and down, look at the rear of the wheel and see if the movement is coming from the bearing. Hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try to explain better.

However, if it's a howling noise under your hood, you'd have to be more specific. I don't have a clue.

brdrxtreme
04-07-2004, 02:33 PM
I had that noise, unfortunatley they told me it was transmission so i traded mine in. Hope thats not the case with urs the prise for rebuidling was outrageous.

RAPTOR
04-07-2004, 03:49 PM
i hope it not the trans,if it is why is it so smooth when it shifts,god i hope not

RAPTOR
04-07-2004, 04:15 PM
ok i just checked them,there is about 1/16 to 1/8 of play when i grab the tire from side to side.when i check from top to bottom they feel tight.so i guess i'll ask is a 1/16 to 1/8 my problem.i have A VERY BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS

RAPTOR
04-07-2004, 04:33 PM
is there a filter in the tranmission that might be pluged.

RAPTOR
04-08-2004, 04:47 PM
brought the car in today,it was the right hub bearing.total cost was 204.16.i was so happy it was just the bearing :slayer