Coolant and Tranny Flush [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant and Tranny Flush

dennistowell
04-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Ok well i did a search and found nothin real helpfull(all just how it is not good to flush if your tranny has alot of miles on it). My qyestion is that my car has about 70,000 miles on it (2 years old). 40% of those miles are highway miles, like crusing at 75 down the interstate, i was just wondering if a tranny flush would be ok to do. also if my tranny does mess up after i do get it flushed will the dealer cover it amd repair it? i was thinking that i will get this done this weekend since i was going to do the coolant system since it is getting hot now.

Any help will be great, you guys are the best resource we have for these cars!!!

action
04-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Yes, I'd definantly have it done. I've seen the result of a neglected transmission!!!

dennistowell
04-08-2004, 08:15 AM
yeah but should i flush it or just have a pan drop change

action
04-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Flushing works better, when you drop the pan you only change 2/3s of the fluid at best.

Flush it and have them drop the pan and install a new filter.

Special Ross
04-08-2004, 01:16 PM
With that amount of miles on it, you may want to do a pan drop. I have been told that trannys with a lot of miles on it and the fluid has not been changed once, then a flush would be a bad idea. That is what I have heard. I think you are on the borderline. Thats just my thoughts.

dennistowell
04-08-2004, 08:33 PM
well i ended up having the day off of work so i went to the dealer and talked to a friend of mine who is a tech there. he had me just do a pan drop for now to see if there were any shavings or large amounts of clutch grit in the oil. we found out that the oil looked very good so we just did the pan drop and stayed with that. next time i go in, like in 30,000 miles or so i will have it flushed to get out anything else in there. he said it was the best way to go

dennistowell
04-08-2004, 08:33 PM
i think i will keep up with the transmission mant. for now on