Question about switching b/t conventional oil and synthetic [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question about switching b/t conventional oil and synthetic

Jordan#1
04-09-2004, 06:09 PM
I own a 2000 alero with a 2.4 litre engine and I will be taking a road trip this summer to BC so I bought 4litres of Quaker State fully synthetic motor oil to have on hand to put in the motor for the trip. (Just for the record , my car has 70,215km on it) Otherwise I always have used cheaper oils like Motomaster and Castrol GTX regular oil. Is it true that once you start using synthetic motor oil you cannot go back to conventional oil? I personally don't think that is true because it doesn't make much sense, but I've heard both sides of the story.

Should I return the synthetic motor oil because I don't plan on using synthetic all the time.(Too expensive)

Any opinions or experiences from anyone?

craig02GAGT
04-09-2004, 06:34 PM
From what I heard its not a good idea to be switching back and forth. The only reason I heard is the engine does need to adjust to synthetic (diffrent wear patterns I guess). When you switch back it causes increased wear temporarily as it is "adjusting."

I personally use Mobil 1 and have been very happy with it. I probably wouldn't use a non-synthetic again in a car unless someone showed me proof that their are no diffrences.

Intuit57
04-13-2004, 02:41 AM
Yeah, I've heard it's a waste of money unless you've used synthetic since the car was new. Could be a rumour. :)

carsarecool
04-15-2004, 12:27 AM
i swtiched my 2.4 to mobil 1 at 59k miles, i dunno what that is in kilometers but ive used that ever since, especially in higher mileage engines(over 50k) or so, ive heard you should stick w/ one type of oil, synthetic is fine if you keep using it far as i know:cool: