****ed all over the driveway [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ****ed all over the driveway

brim
04-09-2004, 05:18 PM
So a ways back (2-3 months) my coolant was a bit low, i filled it with just a bit of 50/50 and had no problems since. It's also looked a little dirty and I've been looking to get it flushed soon, so today on the way from MA to RI as soon I park the car in the driveway. Pshhhhhh... splat, the car overheated and coolant was on its way down the driveway.

Ah great of course. So I figure I refill it, but it's gotta go in, anything i should know before i take it in to a mechanic, don't think i'll be driving it back to MA for work tomorrow.

oh, happy early easter :thumbsdow

craig02GAGT
04-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Did you see where the coolant was coming from?

brim
04-09-2004, 05:35 PM
didn't see right off, saw it running down the passenger side of the car

looks like it started near the passenger side front

craig02GAGT
04-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Did your temp gauge indicate it was overheated?

I would just let the guy know it was a lot of coolant that leaked and if the temp gauge was reading something abnormal.

brim
04-09-2004, 05:46 PM
right before it flushed itself the temp gauge was crawling up on the third mark on the car. Never went above that but that's all it took

Gonna have to get it towed by AAA tomorrow and bring it in somewhere down here

A good amount of coolant spilled out, nothing in the engine bay that's noticeable (then again it's 8:45pm) Gonna check the reservoir in a while

Could it be a hose that blew out somewhere maybe? thinkin about pouring some water through to see where it's leakin now

craig02GAGT
04-09-2004, 05:58 PM
On the Olds the mark after the half-way point is the ultra high end of normal. You probably wouldn't want it to go much higher than that. That shouldn't cause a system that is filled properly to boil over though. If you shut off the car hot like that it stops the coolant from flowing. This is when its under the most pressure. If a hose were to pop off that would be the time. Its happened to me before. I heard a dull thud sound right after shutting off the engine and all the collant came out. The lower radiator hose had popped off.

I would start by tracing all the coolant lines under the hood and make sure they are attached and in tact.

AaronGAGT
04-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Also make sure your coolant tank cap is on really tight. I had your same symptoms and it turned out to be that the cap wasnt on tight enough and coolant would come out thru the overflow

Panacea
04-10-2004, 12:15 AM
Also make sure your coolant tank cap is on really tight. I had your same symptoms and it turned out to be that the cap wasnt on tight enough and coolant would come out thru the overflow

:stupid: Yup, same thing happened to me. It was towards the third tick after 200, but the reason it overflowed was that the cap wasn't on tight. Pressure wasn't even so it started spewing out the overflow tube or whatever it's called.

brim
04-10-2004, 07:15 AM
i think i might have the same problem here
the overflow being the one tube towards the back of the reservoir, should it always be hanging? :rolleyes: It's in a prime spot for where the majority of the spill started. Also Not all the coolant was dumped the reservoir is still semi full

Gonna go searching for a replacement for the inner rubber part of the cap, it broke apart maybe a month ago when i checked my coolant. Not sure if that's what's doin it.

The strange thing is that the caps been busted for a while now, could it take nearly a month for it to overflow like that?

in the meantime i'm gonna look for a replacement rubber inner seal for the cap, maybe autozone, home depot....

brim
04-10-2004, 01:57 PM
replaced the gasket, covers is on good and tight. So I let it start and idle for a good 10-15 minutes and it's back to just above the middle mark.

Might still have a shop take a look on Monday, gonna check the thermostat out as well just in case

brim
04-13-2004, 08:08 AM
follow up on the coolant, brought it in to a radiator shop and the results well..

i told him what happened, the gunk in the reservoir he said is more than likely from someone adding a leak stop formula of sorts. The only reason he could come up with for it overheating and blowing out the overflow was that there was air trapped in the system. I had replaced the rubber gasket with a rubber washer for the cap, and so far it's held. Gonna be taking it for an hour and 10 min drive on the highway and we'll see how it does today.

AaronGAGT
04-13-2004, 09:46 AM
i told him what happened, the gunk in the reservoir he said is more than likely from someone adding a leak stop formula of sorts.

The gunk in the resevoir is normal (good ol dexcool).... I have yet to see one of our cars without that crap in there unless it just got flushed.