Brake Trouble Please Help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Trouble Please Help

kevin231
04-09-2004, 11:15 PM
my back brakes make a grinding when slowing down. when my rotors were machined the noise went away. Now they look exactly like they did before i machined them. My car has 48 000km original pads, with 50% left

arctic
04-13-2004, 08:14 AM
It's kinda hard to tell, but from the pic, the rotors look fine. If there is any scoring on the rotors, that's probably due to any sand, foreign objects, etc.. embedding into your pads. Thats normal and not uncommon. As far as the grinding is concerned, bearing perhaps? I guess it would depend on magnitude of the sound. Does it happen when approaching a stop? Does it begin when driving between 30-40 mph?

brim
04-13-2004, 09:10 AM
pads still have life left in em?

kevin231
04-13-2004, 06:14 PM
My back brakes have 75% left pad. They are the original, the noise happens when coming to a complete stop. The dealership machined the rotors and the noise was gone. I didnt have the noise for about 2 months, then the rotors started rusting again, they look just like they did before it was machined and the noise is back.

2002AmSE
04-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Mine grind too when I push on them moderately hard, I know its not normal, but i dont know what to do about it

...wait, whoo hoo, i just remembered, warrenty to my rescue ...unless its the pads or rotors, then ill just leave them

arctic
04-14-2004, 08:13 AM
Well then it could be a couple of things... Due to the age of the pads, they could have crystallized from the intense heat or your tire pressure could be low (should be 32PSI). Low pressure tends to make a dragging noise when coming to a stop due to the increased friction btwn the tread and the pavement. Pads that have crystallized will have hardened and reduced their braking ability. These have only been my experiences in the past, so take them with a grain of salt. :)

Maddman Mat
04-14-2004, 12:39 PM
I also have the same grinding noise in the front but when i brake when i'm doing over 100km/h (60 mph)....when front end and the steering wheel shakes. sometimes it's worse than others, depends on how hard i have to brake. just thinking that my rotors are warped. what do you think?

RAPTOR
04-14-2004, 02:48 PM
it's always a good idea to replace your pads,when you turn or replace the rotors.i find that the pads that came on the car are WAY TO HARD.get a set of simi metallic pads,they are cheap 17 dollars for a set to do the back.OH my car did the same thing i bought new rotors and pads and been happy ever since :slayer

arctic
04-15-2004, 11:06 AM
"I also have the same grinding noise in the front but when i brake when i'm doing over 100km/h (60 mph)....when front end and the steering wheel shakes. sometimes it's worse than others, depends on how hard i have to brake. just thinking that my rotors are warped. what do you think?"

I'd be 99.9% sure that your rotors are warped. Check the run-out on them.

buzzzam
04-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Rotors are usually turned when replacing the pads. I've never heard of just turning rotors and not changing the pads. The pads are what were causing the noise. Next time make sure you replace the pads when turning the rotors.

arctic
04-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Well, just like I always say: When in doubt, buy a Honda

99GApunk
04-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Rotors are usually turned when replacing the pads. I've never heard of just turning rotors and not changing the pads. The pads are what were causing the noise. Next time make sure you replace the pads when turning the rotors.

exactly, your rotors are turned or machined because of uneveness or being 'warped' this also causes uneven wear in the pads. so when your new rotors go on you have uneven pads still rubbing against them, likely to make for a poor braking experience and possibly soon to be warped rotors again