DRL's [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DRL's

BLACK99GT/ROB
04-10-2004, 08:20 AM
I asked about this a while back,but still haven't figured this out yet.My DRL's are flickering on and off when the car is running in park,they are not supposed to be on at all until the car is in drive or reverse.I was told it might be my BCM,but if that was the issue wouldn't they flicker also when in drive or reverse which they don't?Thanks in advance!

e2helper
04-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Maybe there is something wrong which makes vehicle think it really isn't Park? Do you have any other weird problems like automatic door locks locking doors when this flickering DRL happens?

And this is DRLs, right (reduced intensity headlamps)? Not full intensity headlamps and parklamps.

BLACK99GT/ROB
04-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Maybe there is something wrong which makes vehicle think it really isn't Park? Do you have any other weird problems like automatic door locks locking doors when this flickering DRL happens?

And this is DRLs, right (reduced intensity headlamps)? Not full intensity headlamps and parklamps.I have no other weird problems like that.It only happens with the daytime running lamps,I have no issues with the full intensity headlights or parking lamps when they are on.

BLACK99GT/ROB
04-11-2004, 04:42 PM
to the top

SC/TGrandAm
04-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Im going to go out on a limb and say something within your DRL system is messed up. Im going to say the component you need to check is the relay. It either has been wet or something. I dont know

If all else fails go to the howto section and do the mod that disables the DRL's on the 99. That would be the best bet anyhow.

BLACK99GT/ROB
04-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Im going to go out on a limb and say something within your DRL system is messed up. Im going to say the component you need to check is the relay. It either has been wet or something. I dont know

If all else fails go to the howto section and do the mod that disables the DRL's on the 99. That would be the best bet anyhow.Is it illegal to disable the DRL's?I don't see what the purpose of the daytime running lamps are for anyway,I don't see how they contribute to safety.

SC/TGrandAm
04-11-2004, 07:26 PM
yeah its illegal to disable them in canada but not in the USA. Half of the vehicles roaming around didnt have DRL's in the first place.

They do contribute to safety a little, your car is a little more visible on a highway out in the boondocks, but they look retarded IMO so if i were you id just disable them and say to heck with your problem then.

BLACK99GT/ROB
04-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know where exactly where the DRL relay is located on the BCM? Also do I have to take out the glove compartment to get to it?Thanks!

e2helper
04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
The DRL relay is located in underhood electrical center.

But you can't just remove it. If you do that your Left headlight won't work because system uses the normally closed contacts of relay to get power feed to the lamps. You will also likely get SVS light on.

BLACK99GT/ROB
04-12-2004, 03:17 PM
I am planning to replace my relay with a new one to see if that will solve my problem.So since it is located in the underhood electrical center is it hard to get to?I have never actually looked for or seen this electrical center so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

e2helper
04-12-2004, 03:49 PM
It would be a piece of cake

Here is what the electrical center looks like (http://www.geocities.com/raj380/malibu_nolf/images/uhbec.jpg)

Here is the graphics on label (http://www.geocities.com/raj380/malibu_nolf/images/gauhbec.jpg) on the cover

DRL relay is #22 in upper left corner. It is a 5-terminal micro relay.

You will find 3 similar 5-terminal relays (they are black instead of gray) on an IP fuse/relay block behind the left hand end cap of Instrument panel where they are used for the door lock function. You could probably swap one of them with the DRL relay as a test instead of buying a new one until you are sure that is your problem.

BLACK99GT/ROB
04-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Thank you very much,you have been a big help. I will do it tomorrow hopefully,if this rain lets up.

e2helper
04-12-2004, 08:18 PM
No problem, however I don't think the DRL relay is going to be the problem.

I looked into stuff a little further (looked at owner manual for your vehicle) and want to mention something I brought up b4.

Does your vehicle have automatic door lock feature enabled? When turn ignition ON, doors closed and shift out of PARK do the doors lock by themselves?

If not, then either you or previous owner disabled that feature. If that is the case then I would again be suspicious of the Neutral Start Back-up (NSBU) switch on your vehicle toggling in and out of PARK causing your DRL flicker.

If that is the case you are probably pretty lucky the system is disabled or you likely would have found yourself locked out of the vehicle at some point.

Let me know about the door lock question.

Good Luck!!

BLACK99GT/ROB
04-13-2004, 06:35 AM
Yes my doors do lock by themselves when put into drive.

BLACK99GT/ROB
04-13-2004, 03:08 PM
I replaced the relay and the lights are not flickering anymore,but I don't know how long it will last because something is still wrong because the lights are on even in park,the manual says they are only to come on when car is taken out of park.

e2helper
04-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Wow!

This would all make sense if your automatic door lock system wasn't working correctly. But since it does I don't know what else to suggest at this point.

Keep us posted.

SC/TGrandAm
04-13-2004, 03:52 PM
Sweet, glad to hear what i suggested the Relay solved part of it. I would just wait and see, if the DRL's are still on in park its no biggie as long as it doesnt cause the same problem again.

BLACK99GT/ROB
04-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Well it didn't last long and they are back to flickering so I plan on just disabling them when I get the time to do it.