high pitched noise in steering wheel [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : high pitched noise in steering wheel

SteveGT1
04-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Guys, when I turn my car left or right (while stoped or driving) I can hear a high pitched noise. It is not coming from the power steering unit but right in the steering wheel. It kinda sounds like a wah wah peddle for a guitar! lol Has anyone had this problem in the past? I put some white grease behind the steering wheel but it's still there...

SteveGT1
04-11-2004, 10:32 AM
No one has head this sound? :jackson <----------lol

rizer
04-11-2004, 12:08 PM
my GA has a high pitch noise also, but i know its power steering. Cant think of anything offhand it couldnt be.

My ranger's power steering is louder than the exhaust, i swear. Ford sucks with power steering pumps and MPG :)

SteveGT1
04-11-2004, 12:12 PM
It's very strange because it seems like its in the join of the colum and the wheel. I rented a ford F-150 last year to transport my dirtbike and the PS was also very loud...

#20DaMan
04-12-2004, 03:57 PM
I have this noise as well. It didn't used to be like this. ANybody have any suggestions?

Intuit57
04-13-2004, 02:30 AM
Hi

I changed my power steering fluid and the noise went away.

#20DaMan
04-13-2004, 09:10 AM
I refilled the tank and it still is making the noise. The tank was quite low.

toddau
04-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Hey,

I have had this noise ever since I have had the car. It is not the power steering pump. I think that you may be able to get to it if you took off the steering wheel but I'm not sure if you would want to do that. I just ignore it. :banghead

SteveGT1
04-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Again, it is another common problem with grand ams. I wonder if there is a tsb or anything on the noise? :violin

carsarecool
04-15-2004, 01:04 AM
yeah i have it too, its like a whine, or a small animal in the steering column, gets annoying once in a while but i just ignore it usually, havent really heard anything definite to do about it so

SC/TGrandAm
04-15-2004, 01:39 AM
i think theres a rubber grommet or boot or something to that effect down in there. And when you turn the wheel it rubs.

skifreak122
12-06-2005, 05:41 PM
sorry to bring back such an old thread but has there been anything found out about this problem? Just sounds like something needs to be greased within the steering column. Please help...the noise is so irritating!

brsexton
12-06-2005, 08:12 PM
My 03 Alero has the same noise. I like to refer to it as a zipper noise. I took the top of my steering column off and stuck the straw of the wd-40 can and sprayed in the area where the steering shaft goes down. It seemed to help for a while, but the noise is back. I guess I need to do it again when I get time.

tenspeed
12-06-2005, 08:31 PM
WD40 doesn't last long. Back it up with some real oil.

Sometimes when it gets cold, plastic will constrict and rub.

brsexton
12-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Well I tried some good lube spray and the noise did not go away this time. I tried more wd-40 and that did not do it either. I sprayed in the same are as I did last time, so I have no idea why its not working now. Does anyone know of a fix for this? It is driving me nuts.

TJX96
12-18-2005, 08:12 PM
alot of times at the shop that i work at, we see a problem similar to this.

Steering shaft is making noise, and you have to lube it. Go to a dealer and ask about a steering shaft lube kit and they should know what that is.

TB

Coop
12-23-2005, 01:25 AM
WD40 doesn't last long. Back it up with some real oil.

Sometimes when it gets cold, plastic will constrict and rub.
Yep, ours only does it when it's really cold out. We just turn the stereo up, not worth tearing everything apart to try and track it down.

Carmaniac
12-23-2005, 12:21 PM
i have this problem also. it especially happens when it is really cold out. it is annoying but i have learned to live with it

feature_edit
12-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah, wintertime problem here as well. Of course I only hear it during the 10 seconds it takes me to change the CD and turn the music back up!

digitalballz
12-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Alot of times its just two pieces of plastic rubbing together when you turn the wheel. I know thats what my high pitch noise is.

brsexton
12-27-2005, 06:44 AM
Well I took my car to the dealer for this problem and they seem to think its coming from the the column. They told me there are LOTS of GM cars that do this. Also they said that they could pull the column out and lube it. But it may not cure the problem. As much as I would love the noise gone, I don't want to spend 2 hours on labor if it is not going to fix it. The strange part is that if I turn the wheel with the car off, I still hear the noise on the outside also. (because the noise of the engine is not there) It almost sounds like it is coming from the rack and pinion and the noise is just transferring up the steering column.