Question about 02 Sensors [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question about 02 Sensors

Rba007
04-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Alright, the 02 sensor closest to my car only has one wire coming from it, and the connector that it plugs into only has space for one connection...

Is it the 02 sensor near the cat that has the 4 wires coming from it? Ive been throwing a po132 code (mentioned in my other thread in this section) which is "bank one 02 sensor overvolt". So, I just bought an 02 sensor from dr kyle, and it showed up in a day which im very happy about. But, its totally different than the sensor I think I need unfortunately. What do your 02 sensors and connectors look like? Im trying to figure out if something is wrong with the car here.

Rba007
04-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Heres a pic of the new sensor's plug (which im pretty sure works for the rear sensor, which isnt the one I needed)
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12313

And then a pic of the plug that the car has had, and what I need the o2 sensor to plug into. Note the SINGLE wire connection, one wire from the 02 sensor, and one wire from the 02 sensor connector to the car.

(I know the pic is fuzzy, but you get the idea)
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12314

Rba007
04-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Oh forgot to mention, if that plug were to work on the rear o2 sensor, the wires from it would have to be about a foot longer... So, I guess it wouldnt work there either.

Dr_Kyle
04-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Hmm.. That's odd. That is the exact sensor that I have right now. I can't imagine there only being one wire though :confused: It doesn't make sense how the circuit could provide any feedback to the PCM with only one wire going to the sensor.

Rba007
04-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Any idea where I could get the other connection and wires? No junkyard anywhere near me will have anything newer than 94 or so.

Rba007
04-10-2004, 06:19 PM
I know that the connector in the second pic has got to be stock... The 02 sensor ive got in there right now is for a '99 2.4... atleast thats what i told the dealer, and thats what they gave me. I do remember the connectors being different (the one the dealer gave me woulndt plug into the one on the car) so I cut off the one from the dealer and soldered on the one now. But, that doesnt explain how the one in the second picture got there, because im sure that wouldnt have been included in the one i bought from the dealer. Thats had one wire running to it for over a year now. I never even looked at that sensor untill I installed my headers.

SpyhunteR
04-10-2004, 06:33 PM
instead of giving the dealer the year and motor for your car, I would say give them the VIN number of your car.

1999 was a weird year with things changing in the 2.4L some were EGR equipped some weren't... lil things here and there.. I do recall that there are differences between the years and that causing and effect on what sensors came with what cars...

My 02 sensor in my 2001 is a two wire sensor...

If you can take out the o2 sensor and take it to the dealership and just say that the plug broke off so you need a new o2 sensor that's 1 wire or something.. also again give them you vin number...I have the gm shop manual but its only for the 2001 model year.

Rba007
04-10-2004, 06:35 PM
The last sensor i got from them, for a 99 2.4, was a one wire, but with a slightly different connector on it. So, i cut if off and re-installed the one that I bought the car with and it plugged right in. Stupid car... Thanks for the info spy.

Rba007
04-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Just saw this diagram explaining to someone how to hookup an A/F gauge on j-body.org... Guess im alright.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12328

craig02GAGT
04-11-2004, 08:07 AM
O2 sensors need a fresh air source to compair with the air in the exhaust. It gets the fresh air though the wire. When you soldered the new connector on the sensor was no longer able to get a fresh air source... Thats probably why you threw the code. Two wire sensors have a heater to warm them up quicker. One wire sensors don't have a heater and heat themselves up from the exhaust stream.

I thought all 96+ GM O2 sensors were the two wire type (I could be wrong, but haven't seen a car without a two wire sensor)... But your car needs a one wire sensor?

Dr_Kyle
04-11-2004, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure if you're talking about 4-cyl only, because mine and all the other V6's use a 4 wire connector.

Rba007
04-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Must be 99 4cyl's only, cause spy's has 2. But, that wire has been soldered ever since the headers went in last summer. Wierd. I had trouble with Bosch 02 sensors before, but Im going to try a slightly different PN one today from autozone to see if it does the trick (the old one i dont beleive read fast enough, caused a pretty bad stutter right at startup).