Brake Job on 4 weel disc [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Job on 4 weel disc

USPEEEDIWRITE
04-10-2004, 10:30 PM
I am about to start a weekend job tearing down all 4 weels for a brake pad replacement and possible rotors if needed. I have been unable to find a Chilton manual to assist on this job , since I have never owned a vehicle with rear disc, i do not know if this will be a difficult job. I also noticed the emergency cable spring runs pretty close to the rear calipers, do those need to be removed?I was also told that the rear pads have to be replaced professionally , because of some special tool that is needed, is that true? Thanks for any info provided.

SC

GhostGT
04-11-2004, 07:22 AM
haynes manual is just as good in my opinion as a chilton manual. no special tool is needed to do the rears. two bolts hold the rear calipers on, just like the fronts. remove them, pull the caliper off, and swap out the pads.

RedGT2004
04-11-2004, 11:56 AM
I think the special tool you need is called a caliper piston tool
http://www.truckpartsproshop.com/images/rear_disc_brake_caliper_piston_tool_kit_1.gif

GhostGT
04-11-2004, 04:44 PM
c-clamp or bar clamp with piece of wood works just fine. caliper piston tool wouldn't be rear wheel specific, would be for all four

erimar77
04-11-2004, 11:40 PM
I just did my rears today with new rotors, just be sure to take off the parking brake before you try and muscle off the rotors... it was embarassing!

CoopGT
04-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Actually on the rear calipers you shouldn't just sqeeze the piston in with a C-clamp . If it's like my Fiero that I had you do need a special tool . I t costs about 10 to 15 bucks . It looks like a little 1 1/4" sq. cube with a couple of pins on each side . It attaches to your 3/8" drive rachet. You turn the piston back into the caliper . It's not hard unless the piston is frozen which was the case on my Fiero.

RedGT2004
04-12-2004, 02:38 PM
It looks something like this
http://images.scrippsweb.com/DIY/2003/09/18/wkm202_4fc_e.jpg

USPEEEDIWRITE
04-13-2004, 04:44 AM
Well unless I did something wrong , this was about the easiest brake job I have ever done. All I did on the front was take out the lower caliper bolt and flipped up the caliper to get access the pads , and the same with the rear calipers except I removed the upper caliper bolt. Total time was a little over an hour.

Thanks for the info

SC

preed4962
04-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Actually on the rear calipers you shouldn't just sqeeze the piston in with a C-clamp . If it's like my Fiero that I had you do need a special tool . I t costs about 10 to 15 bucks . It looks like a little 1 1/4" sq. cube with a couple of pins on each side . It attaches to your 3/8" drive rachet. You turn the piston back into the caliper . It's not hard unless the piston is frozen which was the case on my Fiero.

The 1999+ Grand Am's DO NOT have this type of caliper on the rear of the vehicle! NO SPECIAL TOOLS ARE REQUIRED TO SERVICE THE REAR BRAKES! The caliper the Fiero uses combines the service brake and the parking brake into one unit. The parking brake on these Grand Am's is referred to a 'drum in hat' setup, where inside (behind) the brake rotor is a small drum brake setup that is just for the parking brake. This is a much less complex system than that of the old Fiero/Cutlass/Grand Prix/Toronado etc system.

-Paul

CoopGT
04-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Hey way cool thanks for the info.