My GA in the shop again. Gearheads - diagnosis? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My GA in the shop again. Gearheads - diagnosis?

99StudlyGT
04-12-2004, 07:19 AM
Ok, I know it's bad for the fuel pump when you go really low on gas. I try not to, but this time I did. I was on my little yellow light for a day already and was on a lunch break for work. I parked my car and ate. I go to start my car after food and it starts kinda hard. (didnt crank over right away). Then at idle, it starts "chugging" sort of. I figure I was REALLY low on gas and I fill up to a half tank. (gotta get back to work) I start it after getting gas and its doing it again. Rolls in spurts at idle, and my exhaust noise is sputtery when accelerating/ reving. If any of you have ever heard how the exhaust sounds when you spin your tires with the traction control on, it sounds kinda like that. At this point I am ****ed as hell and am screaming GM sucks as I bring my car to the mechanic once again. They said the checked the fuel pump pressure and it is fine. Now they say they think it's the ignition thingie? Something about not getting spark to cylinder one. O yeah, I have new AC Delco plugs and 64,000 miles on the car. I say they are trying to screw me and it's just the fuel pump. What do u guys think. I really can't waste money now, so help on this is really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

asepgrad98
04-12-2004, 02:02 PM
hard to tell over the net but could be water in the fuel

99StudlyGT
04-12-2004, 05:22 PM
I just talked to them, they said the fuel injector for cylinder 1 was fuxored. I guess they fixed it, I have to pick up my car tomorrow, $500 poorer..

fast_ga
04-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Its always #1, 5, or 6 when it comes to injectors it seems! On the 3400 anyway.

cavingman
04-12-2004, 05:33 PM
heh i had 5 misfiring, turns out i stripped a rocker out of the cylinder head. dont feel bad :D
that was awhile ago, got 2 new cylinder heads out of it.

mr_eh
04-12-2004, 05:53 PM
i know your gonna flame me for asking, so dont bother.

but, why i the world would you drive around with a gas light on instead of going immediately to a gas station if you claim you knew driving around with low gas would damage something?

fast_ga
04-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Thats a old mechanics wive's tale anyway! Sure low fuel mean less fuel around pump, but it doesnt make it work any harder, might run 3 degrees warmer, big deal. Pumps go bad! As far as a injector, nothing to do with low fuel level.

Gt00
04-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Thats a old mechanics wive's tale anyway! Sure low fuel mean less fuel around pump, but it doesnt make it work any harder, might run 3 degrees warmer, big deal. Pumps go bad! And you get to replace them lol

99StudlyGT
04-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Honestly, I was still smashed from the night before and when I hungoverly got in the car the next day, I didn't even think to look at anything but the road until my little light went on. Then I'm like, damn.. no money on me.

atc3434
04-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Low fuel = easier to pick up any stray debris in the bottom of the tank = more likely to fail fuel delivery components. Low fuel light = GET GAS NOW!