amp wiring AGAIN [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : amp wiring AGAIN

GTkid
10-20-2002, 02:57 PM
ok i have the power cable, the ground, the remote, the RCA. it is all there, but when i turn my car on my amp doesnt light up. i tapped the remote wire just behind the HU. should i have tapped it farther back? also i think i have the monsoon system because my stock 6x9's had dual voice coils. and i hooked my RCA's to the rear outputs both in my HU and in my amp. so i have no clue what is going wrong maybe you guys could help.

grass
10-20-2002, 03:07 PM
what do u mean you 'tapped' your remote wire?

GTkid
10-20-2002, 04:43 PM
tapped the remote wire behind my head unit...... like linked it.

grass
10-20-2002, 04:46 PM
so on your amp you have your power (red wire), ground (brown wire prolly, same size as your power), and your remote wire, prolyl blue.

then you have a set of rcas going into the inputs or the amp (double check this, i put it in the outputs and my amp wouldnt turn on)

also you have 12ga wire ran to your speakers?

do u have access to a digital multimeter?

GTkid
10-20-2002, 04:50 PM
RCA- i will have to check

multimeter - no

ground wire - black not brown

my amp- not working

grass
10-20-2002, 04:52 PM
did you check the fuses on the amp itself? or the fuse under your hood? i've did alot of easily missed things that i feel stupid for, thats why i'm asking you all these questoins.

does a friend have an amp that you could hook up to check your wiring connections

also where did you ground your ground at? make sure the paint is stripped and you see bare metal.

BMOBYLE
10-20-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by GTkid
tapped the remote wire behind my head unit...... like linked it.

Which wire do you have the "tapped" wire too.

On the head it should be blue. That is your remote turn on wire.

GTkid
10-20-2002, 06:09 PM
i have it tapped into the light blue wire that is labeled "remote wire"....... so im pretty sure thats right. anyway i checked the 80 fuse on the wire in the engine compartment and i did end up having to solder a little bit of an extension on to get the wire to hit the posotive terminal, the ground is on a bolt in the trunk where the cargo net hooks onto. there is not ALL exposed metal it is some paint but not like 100%. so i guess i should check all that stuff which i will end up doing tomorrow. but all the little stuff i have checked and rechecked and it SHOULD BE working but it isnt someone wanna drive to my house and do it for meh? :)

grass
10-20-2002, 07:00 PM
its your ground, i'm almost 100% positive

if you move the right side of the trunk carpet away you'll see a bracket for your antenna, undo that bolt and hook your ground to that to see if it works, i couldnt get a good ground on that connector thing either, i tried the antenna and it worked great (and no paint there to scrape :thumbs:)

try that and see if it works

when you hook your ground wire up was there a small spark?

GTkid
10-20-2002, 07:47 PM
when i first had it hooked up i did touch the wires and no spark which is how i established it to be a power problem..... grass i am eternaly in your debt. i thought i had a good enough ground, guess not. thanx alot

grass
10-20-2002, 08:11 PM
so you got it fixed then?

grass
10-21-2002, 04:57 PM
hey glad you got the prob fixed, hows it sound now?

GTkid
10-21-2002, 05:08 PM
no sound yet i spent $920 today on a bigger amp, 2 kicker L5 12"s and an enclosure that are all being ordered should have in a week. i hope they sound good though :)

getting off topic. watch out for the big bad mods :confused:

grass
10-21-2002, 05:09 PM
its our own thread though hehe

no the L5's kick @$$ i got 2 of em in a ported box (bye bye trunk) i dont have a big enough amp though, youre gonna hit 140's definatly ;)

anyways glad your amp wiring is good now

sundevilkid
10-23-2002, 06:46 PM
If everything IS hooked up correctly, i would be my bottom dollar that it is the ground. Make sure the spot you connect the ground to is bare metal about the size of at least a quarter to a a half dollar!! Sounds stupid, but paint it a GREAT insulator!!!

grass
10-23-2002, 09:30 PM
it was the ground, he answered that in another PM or thread, thanx for looking out though sundevil :)