shifts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : shifts

tammikm
04-15-2004, 05:18 PM
how do you tell a good shift from a bad one on an automatic? can someone describe a slipping trans please? sometimes mine will seem to shift hard, i think... definatly know when it shifts...

thanks

AznGA
04-15-2004, 07:30 PM
I think the RPM would raise when tranny slips.

2002AmSE
04-16-2004, 04:56 AM
If your saying that you know when it shifts, then its not slipping

rizer
04-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Do you feel its slipping between 1st and 2nd? Mine does that but everyone says its just a sloppy thing from GM

AznGA
04-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Also, keep in mind that our tranny is computer controlled. I had hesitation between 1-2 shift, but I disconnected the battery for 30 min, and it went away.

EBlend
04-16-2004, 09:58 AM
on mine whenever it gets hot like waiting in line, it shifts hard and u can tell its shifting, but when driving it cools down and shifts normally. I put a tranny cooler on mine since then, seems to be running good....but the tranny cooler gets HOT! compared to the radiator..so i know its working :D

erimar77
04-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey EBlend, I recently bought a tranny cooler. Any tips or tricks to it? The instructions look pretty straight forward, except how much extra transmission fluid you should put in. Any ideas on that?

Panacea
04-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Basically when accelerating gradually (3000 rpm or below) if it doesn't shift smoothly (grabs the gear right away) and hesitates a split second before it catches and shifts, then I believe that is considered slipping. Our cars have a very smooth shift to them. You almost can't tell when it shifts (brand new) but after a lot of abuse you'll start to notice more when the car shifts.

At least that's how mine was. I'm at 45k and my car's been abused. I'm suprised at how well my tranny's held up. I think it'd be fine if I didn't downshift when trying to slow down fast sometimes. That's when it's killer on the tranny.

rizer
04-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Basically when accelerating gradually (3000 rpm or below) if it doesn't shift smoothly (grabs the gear right away) and hesitates a split second before it catches and shifts, then I believe that is considered slipping. Our cars have a very smooth shift to them. You almost can't tell when it shifts (brand new) but after a lot of abuse you'll start to notice more when the car shifts.

At least that's how mine was. I'm at 45k and my car's been abused. I'm suprised at how well my tranny's held up. I think it'd be fine if I didn't downshift when trying to slow down fast sometimes. That's when it's killer on the tranny.

Well, for me, its just from 1st to 2nd that theres a small delay between shifts, it does rev then catch before it shifts, just a short delay. Gears after shift just like new

2002AmSE
04-17-2004, 01:51 PM
i figured that 1st to 2nd shift delay was normal, and I would figure as long as it took less than a second that it wasn't serious. We have two grand am's that both shift slower out of 1st than the other gears.