Sticking Accelerator [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sticking Accelerator

BadGT471
04-16-2004, 02:17 PM
I am trying to figure out if my accelerator is sticking or not.. Heres the scenario. I step on the gas and goto stop, and my rpm's go up to about 2500 then will slowly drop.. Granted I have the A/C on, but I've never noticed them doing this. It will accel when I get on the gas, and then instead of the RPM's dropping right away, they hang up around like 2500.. Is this normal? If not, what do I do to fix a sticking accelerator? Would it be really obvious if it was sticking, or could this be due to my AC running? Anyone?

Dr_Kyle
04-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Do you have an aftermarket intake installed? If so, check to make sure the clamp on the throttle body isn't snagging the throttle cable or assembly.

asepgrad98
04-16-2004, 06:49 PM
I step on the gas and goto stop.

Dont push both pedals at the same time. Only use you right foot.

my rpm's go up to about 2500 then will slowly drop.

they should not ALWAYS be 2500

2002AmSE
04-16-2004, 08:05 PM
I step on the gas and goto stop, and my rpm's go up to about 2500 then will slowly drop

.... Yeah, like the other guy said, usually you don't speed up when you try to stop...

Seriously though, If you want to see if its stuck, sit in your garage and push the accelerator and feel if the peddle is coming all the way back up or not when the RPM's stay up.

Also, you could try opening the hood and finding the throttle body and have someone mess with the gas peddle with the car off and watch the throttle and see if the spring is twisting the throttle all the way shut when the peddle is released

Since you don't post how old your car is or the mileage I can't tell you that you could bring it in for warrenty or not, but either way you should check this first.

nomojo
04-17-2004, 10:03 PM
I am trying to figure out if my accelerator is sticking or not.. Heres the scenario. I step on the gas and goto stop, and my rpm's go up to about 2500 then will slowly drop.. Granted I have the A/C on, but I've never noticed them doing this. It will accel when I get on the gas, and then instead of the RPM's dropping right away, they hang up around like 2500.. Is this normal? If not, what do I do to fix a sticking accelerator? Would it be really obvious if it was sticking, or could this be due to my AC running? Anyone?

Hmm. I'm going to assume you dont mean your hammering the gas and the brake at the same time....

given that, do you mean it surges (RPM) upwards when you slam the brakes (again, your foot NOT on the gas at this point)? I've had that happen to me once, no aftermarket anything; maybe the ... umm.. metal blocker thing.. (thats the technical term for that, if anyone was wondering) in the throttle body is sticking?

anyways, i dont really have a solution for you, i just thought that I'd mention (if i interpreted your message right) that I've had something similar happen once or twice in my '03. I seem to remember a TSB going out for another GM car or van (ie. NOT the grand am) where the spring wasnt strong enough to snap the above forementioned "metal blocker thing" shut.

anyways, as always, use anything ive said at your own risk :)

cheers.