Fixed LIM Leak/Car Won't Start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fixed LIM Leak/Car Won't Start

Vince
04-17-2004, 06:00 PM
OK, I have a 2000 GAGT, 3.4 L. The car motor had been in peices for over two months, why, don't ask, long story. But I finally got a chance to put it back together, problem is, car won't start. It'll turn over, and if I press the gas, it will stay on, but as soon as I let the gas go, it'll turn off. I got it to idle for less than a minute a couple of times, at 500 RPM, barely, but it just shuts off. PLease need feedback, otherwise, to the shop on Monday, and I'm kinda low on cash here, any help would be appreciated.

lightningGA
04-17-2004, 06:06 PM
I would check all electrical connections....but I really have know idea...just a suggestion

atc3434
04-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Maybe reset the computer again... see if it'll clear up. When its running when you hold the gas a lil, is it smooth, or is it rough and not happy. IF everything is smooth and good, it just won't hold an idle, I would suspect an idle air control motor problem.

Vince
04-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Yes, when I have the gas pressed, it's running smooth, but once I let go, it turns off. I checked the Idle control on the throttlebody, the resistance on it, and it was ok, at least the way the chiltons book said to do it, but who knows.

95-GT
04-17-2004, 11:31 PM
Check all vacuum lines. Especially the big black one on the UIM.

lightningGA
04-18-2004, 04:30 AM
Check all vacuum lines. Especially the big black one on the UIM.

I was thinking that too........
check all the lines for leaks and what not

Vince
04-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Well, I did check them all, and there all on. But when I have it on, there's a like a whistle coming from somewhere, but I don't know where it's coming from. Could that make it turn off? How can I find it?

95-GT
04-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Its a vacuum line. Check the EVAP purge selenoid and all. Even the EGR, did you forgot to bolt that down? Make sure everything is torque correctly. There is also a vacuum tester in the upper left of the UIM, is that covered?

Vince
04-18-2004, 03:30 PM
It's all covered, and it's all torqued they way it should be. Could it be the Idle Air Control valve(IAC)? As long as the gas is pressed, it stays on, even in gear, it turns off. When I have the key on On, I can hear the IAC valve clicking, is it supposed to do that?

95-GT
04-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Not sure. But if you hear a whistle sound, something isnt connected right. When you give it gas, your car has 0 vacuum so a loose vacuum line really wouldnt show. It would run fine, But when you let off and have vacuum, that loss will make it stall.

Vince
04-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Well, there's nothing wrong with the IAC valve, I'm gonna try and empty the tank and put fresh gas in. It's been sitting there since December, so that might be it. If not, dealer time.

95-GT
04-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Can you take a few pics of the motor area so I can see what it looks like under there?

iceman
04-18-2004, 08:07 PM
I had something similar, whistle and everything, was a vacuum leak from the evap thing, the hose goes from the PCV to a T under the throttlebody bracket, then to this little box w/ wires

Vince
04-18-2004, 08:10 PM
I don't have any pics yet, I was planning on washing it and take some pics when I got it running, but here I am. I don't have any loose connections or any left over connections anywhere. I hope it's just the gas.

Vince
04-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Iceman, what was leaking there, which connection, mines is hooked up, all 3 connections there.

iceman
04-18-2004, 08:17 PM
I snapped the plastic line from the T to the PVC, then another one on the plastic vacuum lines going to the evap

Vince
04-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Well, that would do it. Mines are intact though, so if there's a leak, it's not there, Thanks though.

iceman
04-18-2004, 08:22 PM
If you have someone to help, start it up with your head in the engine bay and listen.

BMOBYLE
04-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Are your intake mani's painted?

Ither way a nice ol school trick to finding a leak is carb clean.

Take some of that and LIGHTLY spray around the suspected vacuum leak area and
if your rpms rise thats where the leak is.

you might have a number of possibilites though brother. Hows that MAF?

hooked up right? get it running and try tapping on that lightly too to see if it's taking a crap on ya.

Just a few suggestions.

like someone else said get some pics up if you can.

Vince
04-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Yes, the upper mani is painted. So some carb cleaner will work? The MAF is new, it's a pro-M one. I'll see about pics, but if I can't get it started by tommorow, then forget it.

Blight
07-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Bump. Same problem I am having still.

cmtapanes
07-11-2008, 09:25 PM
I had the same problem on Monday. The car will start fine and as soon I let the gas go the car will shut down. When rpms drop below 600 the car will shut down. I drove the car from work to my house with one feet on the gas and the other on the brake to keep the rpms above 600. The funny thing is that I made it home and when I made it home the car was fine until today the car hasn't giving me any problems.