Headlight Aiming Argument [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Aiming Argument

Mike96SE
04-18-2004, 09:03 PM
For the love of god, help me prove my friend's girlfriend wrong...

There are 3 tiny nubs on most headlights (at least on my friend's friend's cavalier haha)

Now, the purpose of them is to help in aiming the headlights, right??

Could someone find me a link that explains this, I have been searching and couldnt find anything explicitely stating the importance of having correctly aimed lights and using these "nubs."

Apparently to her improperly aimed headlights are no big deal...

MikeSilverGT
04-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Well, my last car had them seriously badly aimed, street signs and trees were really bright, but very little light on the road, I'd suppose that would be a problem. It could a courtesy thing too, you will annoy other drivers if your headlights are aimed in their eyes. Does she not drive at night on unlit roads?

Rba007
04-19-2004, 03:57 PM
The little nubs on the front are for the dealer who have a little tool that attaches right to those nubs to align your lights. For you to adjust them, there are two adjustment bits, one near the fender the other nearer the grill.

Hexx
04-19-2004, 06:59 PM
The little nubs on the front are for the dealer who have a little tool that attaches right to those nubs to align your lights. For you to adjust them, there are two adjustment bits, one near the fender the other nearer the grill.

Exactally. That girl is dumb....kick her for me please.

snwman
04-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Also I think all DOT approved lenses have those nubs

iceman
04-19-2004, 08:17 PM
:werd

They hook on to devices like these:
http://www.hopkinsmfg.com/ma201902.html

there are also optical aimers, I forget how they work.

IIRC at the factory, this thingy came down on the headlight, hooked on to those nubs, and adjusted the aimers.. was neat

ZakkWylde470
04-19-2004, 09:43 PM
How in God's name did you find a link to that?

Mike96SE
04-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the info goes, is there any chance you could find a link stating anything about those little nubs? I'd really like to have it from a credible site to shove it down her throat.
Girls p*ss me off so much when it comes to vehicles. (Sorry, ignorant girls p*ss me off when it comes to vehicles...but then again, so do ignorant guys.)

Her and her friend claimed it would be "no big deal" if they were blinded for like 3 seconds on the highway. 3 seconds at 60mph translates to a LOT of distance in my book. (I'm too lazy to work out the math).

So tell me if this is correct: The nubs are for aiming the headlights when they come off the assembly line, and when a consumer or mechanic wants to aim them they use the screw located on the side or behind the light?

iceman
04-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Well the headlight housing (and most) have those 3 little nubs on them, that tool up there has the 3 things in the same formation.. do the math ?

How in God's name did you find a link to that?

:D