Maybe a new battery.....or alternator? Advice appreciated.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a new battery.....or alternator? Advice appreciated....

NoOneYouKnow
04-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Sup guyz?

Haven't posted in a while. Anyway, i noticed on my GA that during nighttime (when I'm idle, say, at a traffic light) my lights (including headlights, and interior lights) will dm, then brighten again when I release the brake and accelerate. Any ideas?

My GA is a 2003, and I've noticed that sometimes my car won't start. When i go to start it, you'll hear it crank, but sometimes it wont start the engine. It would take about 3-4 attempts before it starts. and its really ****in me off, especially when my car looks so good (clean and all) and I'm at the gas station filling up, and the car won't start up, and i have this guy next to me in this POS lol his ass off....

Any ideas?

Lata

papiogagt
04-19-2004, 05:44 AM
recently when lights were dimming when i hit the brakes and the horn also was very weak when i locked the car, then one day it was very very hard to start, i.e.- sometimes it would have power and start, other times, i would have absolutley no power showing on my volt metere. it ended up being a bad ground connection to the engine block somewhere, got that fixed and everything is great now!

HaVoK~DOGZ~
04-19-2004, 07:36 AM
mine was doin the same ended up being the battery and if its not that then one of your battery cables is loose..

SC/TGrandAm
04-19-2004, 07:48 AM
Sup guyz?

Haven't posted in a while. Anyway, i noticed on my GA that during nighttime (when I'm idle, say, at a traffic light) my lights (including headlights, and interior lights) will dm, then brighten again when I release the brake and accelerate. Any ideas?

My GA is a 2003, and I've noticed that sometimes my car won't start. When i go to start it, you'll hear it crank, but sometimes it wont start the engine. It would take about 3-4 attempts before it starts. and its really ****in me off, especially when my car looks so good (clean and all) and I'm at the gas station filling up, and the car won't start up, and i have this guy next to me in this POS lol his ass off....

Any ideas?

Lata

Well dude, heres my best advice. Your car is an 03 and its under warranty, you pay for that warranty so put it to good use. Take your car to the dealer make them jack around with it until its fixed.

AaronGAGT
04-19-2004, 08:39 AM
hey bossman, make sure the terminals on your battery are tight... dont just hand tighten them if thats what you've been doing. I had similar problems and that was my solution.

If that doesnt work... to the dealer you go.

nomojo
04-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Sup guyz?

Any ideas?

Lata

Oh man, you're not gonna like my answer.

Well, you're gonna like my answer the same that I like my answer.

I too have a '03 grand am. Since the day I picked it up, the lights dim when pressing the break. Interiors. Headlights. Dash lights. You name it, it dims. It looks like GM decided to save 10 cents somewhere on our cars.

I had a '99 grand am, didnt have that problem. I've taken it into the dealer a few times and they "cant find anything wrong". They tightened the battery conn's but thats all they did, and no better.

Anyways.

Maybe you have a different problem; a bad alt or battery or something, but since you said its an '03, its awfully new, so im guessing it's the stupid design flaw of the 03's and maybe the 04's.

I've had so many stupid problems like this with my new GA that I'm pretty sure I'm going to avoid GM in the future if I can.

As for your 'not starting' problem, are you relying on the automatic-crank thing our cars got whereby you dont need to hold the key in the start position to start it? (you just need to tap it there for a sec and it keeps cranking)? If so, its on a preset delay, and often its not long enough of a crank to start it. I've gotten in the bad habit of this myself, when really, its supposed to be more of an aid in case you accidentally back off the key too soon. If thats what you're doing, just make sure you hold it in the start position and dont rely on the auto-crank thing. If not, who knows what it might be. Spark plugs, wires, coils...?

Hope this helps

Panacea
04-19-2004, 05:01 PM
More than likely it's just the weak alternators in our cars. This is a common problem (happens with my car too when I hit the brakes, roll down a window, etc.) if you want to fix the problem, get a more powerful alternator.

I do agree with SC/T about taking it to the dealership. It's under warranty, so take it in. As with any problems you have!!!