Wheel Bearings? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearings?

Chevylover54
04-19-2004, 08:13 PM
I have a sort of rubbing noise in my car from the front. The faster I drive the higher the pitch of the sound. When I turn to the left the sound is a little quieter. I know it's not the CV joints because it isn't the clunking or grinding sound. As the car shifts the sound stays the same so I think the rules out the trany. Does it sound like the wheel bearings? If so are they easy to change or does it require a press and tools the average person wouldn't have? The car has 67,000 miles on it.

nomojo
04-19-2004, 09:13 PM
I have a sort of rubbing noise in my car from the front. The faster I drive the higher the pitch of the sound. When I turn to the left the sound is a little quieter. I know it's not the CV joints because it isn't the clunking or grinding sound. As the car shifts the sound stays the same so I think the rules out the trany. Does it sound like the wheel bearings? If so are they easy to change or does it require a press and tools the average person wouldn't have? The car has 67,000 miles on it.

Hey

I'm not mr. mechanic, but my old daytona had a wheel bearing go and if I recall correctly it was more of what I would describe as a "whoop whoop" noise. That said, it still could be a wheel bearing.

If you have a GT with those 16" 225 goodyear tires on them I know there have been reported problems of the tires rubbing something or other in turns, for which the solution was "tire replacement". I think theres a TAC or TSB describing the tire rub problem.

I cant think of much else that would cause a rub noise in the front end, but then again I haven't heard the noise, and im not a mechanic ;)

cheers.

videoman
04-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Since our models use sealed units, if it is the bearings then you might have to get the unit replaced.

sicc
04-19-2004, 11:06 PM
definitely sounds like the wheel bearings

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15474