Popping noise from front...no not the brakes. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Popping noise from front...no not the brakes.

Hexx
04-19-2004, 08:14 PM
I am pretty sure this isnt in regards to our calipar issue. I get a popping noise when turning at low speeds. It happens both when touching the brakes and when Im not. I could be accelerating and it pops.

Would this have to do with low power steering fluid? My bro mentioned that it was low the other day (I have yet to fill it heh). I dont think it is because of this, but maybe.

I was thinking it may be a bushing issue??? Anyone else have this.

GM is ****ing me off.

Panacea
04-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Probably your rack and pinion... Had mine replaced by the dealer and it fixed the problem.... for about a month or two....

AaronGAGT
04-19-2004, 11:52 PM
What and where are the rack and pinion?

Panacea
04-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Couldn't tell ya. It has something to do with the steering though :) I believe it's attached to your steering assembly.

Hexx
04-20-2004, 05:36 AM
Do you know specifically what the issue was with the R&P setup? My parents just had theirs replaced on their bonniville because it was leaking fluid. OH ****! Now that I think of it, the fluid is low.....DAMNIT. Ill have to go look for leaks after work.

Thanx ;)

R&P = What makes your car turn.

Panacea
04-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Do you know specifically what the issue was with the R&P setup? My parents just had theirs replaced on their bonniville because it was leaking fluid. OH ****! Now that I think of it, the fluid is low.....DAMNIT. Ill have to go look for leaks after work.

Thanx ;)

R&P = What makes your car turn.

Don't know. They just said "customer complaining about noise when turning. Solution - replace rack & pinion." Pretty much something like that.

preed4962
04-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Is the popping noise happening while you are moving the steering wheel during a turn, or even when holding the wheel still during a turn? If it happens while holding the wheel still during a turn, then I would suspect CV joints, not the rack.

-Paul

z5oh
04-21-2004, 01:40 PM
I had this exact problem with my 2003 gt
it was the front stabilizer shaft insulator brackets ( the bolts at the front sway bar)

there is a TSB for this problem

Cheap fix

Hexx
04-21-2004, 05:01 PM
it was the front stabilizer shaft insulator brackets ( the bolts at the front sway bar)

Cheap fix

Cool deal. Cheap is good....umm...well getting rid of the issue anyways.

Its when im turning and moving, not when sitting still. Know where I can find info on that TSB?

71Z28RS
04-22-2004, 10:17 AM
What and where are the rack and pinion?

The rack and pinion is under the front of the car and directly joins the steering linkages together with the steering wheel shaft. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's got a funky cylindrical housing with a sealed shaft coming our of either side and an integrated gearbox on the backside. It is the modern version of a gearbox/arm linkage for steering. It basically just transfers the steering wheel shaft motion (spinning) into a linear linkage motion (side to side) to make the wheel spindles pivot and make the car turn.

Hope that helps.

Hexx
04-24-2004, 05:20 PM

Cheap fix

Actually, if I got new poly mounts for it, do you think it would fix it?