Front End Shaking At 60 Mph + [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Front End Shaking At 60 Mph +

USPEEEDIWRITE
04-20-2004, 10:44 AM
I Just Replaced All My Pads (4 Wheel Disc) On My 2000 Gagt, With Upgraded Ceramic ,and Now When I Step On My Brakes At Speeds Over 60+ , I Get A Hard Vibration From The Front End Especially In The Steering Wheel. Is It Possible The Rotors Are Warped?

Alkaholik
04-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Yup

SC/TGrandAm
04-20-2004, 11:10 AM
you probably didnt install the brake pads correctly.

Unless you had that vibration before you put the new pads on.

krazyGT
04-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Holy crap...someone else has the same problem as me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help guys!!!!!

I have Powerslot Rotors with EBC GreenStuff pads. I never had any problems with them for about 6-8 months, but lately, in the last 2 months or so I have a harsh vibration at 60+mph also. I looked at the rotors and they are fine. The pads are also fine, so whats the prob????

USPEEEDIWRITE
04-20-2004, 11:40 AM
As Far As I Know I Replaced The Pads Properly , The Removal \ Installation Had To Have Been One Of The Easiest I Have Ever Done. For The Front Pads I Unbolted The Lower Bolt On The Caliper And Flipped It Up To Access The Pads , I Pushed The Old Pads Out , Clipped In The New Pads And Depressed The Caliper. And Put The Caliper Back Together. ~~~ The Rear Calipers Were The Same Installation Except I Removed The Upper Caliper Bolt. ~~~~ I Have No Vibration(s) At Low Speeds , Just Anything Over 60mph. The Rotors Appear To Be Clean , Some Minor Scratches , But No Major Grooves That Should Cause Vibrations

mr_eh
04-20-2004, 11:42 AM
calipers stuck, happened to me, get it checked.

USPEEEDIWRITE
04-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Are The Calipers Rebuildable, If They Are Bad? Is It A Common Problem With The Ga

krazyGT
04-20-2004, 11:52 AM
calipers stuck, happened to me, get it checked.

How do they stick??? like don't compress on the rotor?

mr_eh
04-20-2004, 11:59 AM
the passenger one would clamp down and stay loosely clamped onto the rotor i believe instead of opening back up and it would cause nasty vibration when driving

n43210
04-20-2004, 08:17 PM
im thinking maybe your rotors are warped. did you torque your rims to 100 lbs?

AndyVTek
04-20-2004, 08:26 PM
im thinking maybe your rotors are warped. did you torque your rims to 100 lbs?

That's what I was thinking. Whenever you get vibrations at over 60 mph when you apply your breaks, it's typically a warped rotor.

Gt00
04-20-2004, 08:28 PM
im thinking maybe your rotors are warped. did you torque your rims to 100 lbs? *iagree* Did you tighten the nuts in a star pattern to the correct torque ? If not there's a good chance the rotors are now warped .

nomojo
04-20-2004, 10:20 PM
the passenger one would clamp down and stay loosely clamped onto the rotor i believe instead of opening back up and it would cause nasty vibration when driving

The drivers side caliper basically completely seized twice (ie. the caliper was replaced twice) on my 99 GA.

It was seized bad enough that it could barely be moved with a clamp, and the brake pads were worn on an angle. The brakes still worked, but there was a very slight pull, and as i mentioned, the pads would get wrecked real quick. At the time, my car also vibrated very badly when the brakes were applied.

Also, if the rotors are stock, they warp real easily. There quite poor quality IMO; I've warped the stock ones 3 times, within 12,000 km's. I put the cheapest cheapest cheaepest rotors i could find on it, ($50 bucks a piece CDN), and they outlasted the stock ones by FAR (plus, they had a 1 year no-warp guarantee).

cheers

--
use of any advice above is done so at the readers own risk.

preed4962
04-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Holy crap...someone else has the same problem as me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help guys!!!!!

I have Powerslot Rotors with EBC GreenStuff pads. I never had any problems with them for about 6-8 months, but lately, in the last 2 months or so I have a harsh vibration at 60+mph also. I looked at the rotors and they are fine. The pads are also fine, so whats the prob????

How exactly does one 'look' at rotors and determine that they are OK? Sure you can tell if they aren't all pitted up and rusty and what not, but just looking at them will not tell you if they are warped. We are talking about a few thousandths of run-out here folks.

-Paul