plugs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : plugs

tammikm
04-20-2004, 01:03 PM
how hard is it to change the spark plugs on a 2001 grand am GT? are the ones in behind hard to get at? and what is the proper gap to set the plugs at and the best plug to buy? Is it a good idea to buy the 8.5mm wires as well?
thanks

AaronGAGT
04-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Changing the back plugs are quite the biotch. Sit on the top of your engine and gotta do everything by hand. After doing it once, it seems easier. Not sure about the proper gap, but they usually come gapped to the correct numbers when you buy them. Buying the 8.5mm wires isnt really necessary. Stock replacements will do fine.

nomojo
04-20-2004, 08:23 PM
The plugs are supposed to be gapped to 0.060 in, and torqued to 11 lb ft, according to the GM service manual.

You're supposed to remove the wiper module cover and rotate the engine to get to the back plugs. You can do it without doing this, but its not easy. Also, in the service manual it says to "clean the spark plug recess area before removing the plugs"; to avoid getting junk in your cylinder. You're not gonna be able to use a torque wrench IMO without rotating the engine.

Truthfully, I'd use the stock plugs & wires; although NGK plugs are pretty good. I've personally used the NGK TRV55's on my old '99 grand am, they worked great; and I've got a set of the NGK irridium ones that I need to get around to putting in my '03.. I've seen alot of people have problems with the bosch: they seem to be a love'em or hate'em. Perhaps theres production control issues? I've also heard that the AC Declo Platinum ones that are the OEM replacement for our cars work very, very well.

I've also seen some complaints with the Taylor wire sets, but then again I've also seen some good stuff about them. Thats why, personally, I'm gonna stick with the stock ones.

Good luck

--

use of any info above is done so at your own risk :)

AndyVTek
04-20-2004, 09:30 PM
how hard is it to change the spark plugs on a 2001 grand am GT? are the ones in behind hard to get at? and what is the proper gap to set the plugs at and the best plug to buy? Is it a good idea to buy the 8.5mm wires as well?
thanks

The back are def. a PITA, but it can be done... Just need some extenders for your tools.

I have the MSD 8.5mm wires (red) and I love 'em. Don't expect a huge difference from stock, tho. I replaced my stock wires with the MSD wires and it wasn't much of a difference, if any at all, since my idle was already pretty smooth. They look gooood, tho... :thumbs:

If it makes a difference, the original plugs in the car that I replaced had small carbon build-up. They weren't bad at all, even at 56,000 miles. So changing them might not be worth it... personal preference.

GTmonyPit
04-20-2004, 09:41 PM
the back three plugs are verry hard because there is so little hand room

coupe
04-21-2004, 01:59 PM
I've also seen some complaints with the Taylor wire sets, but then again I've also seen some good stuff about them. Thats why, personally, I'm gonna stick with the stock ones.

--
I have read alot of posts of people sayin they have had probs with there taylors but after a year with mine ive had no probs.

71Z28RS
04-22-2004, 11:08 AM
I removed the coil pack on our GA to get to the back plugs. Kind of a dumb extra step, but it minimized the frustration and the knuckle banging. To be honest, there was mention of the torque wrench specs.....I've never ever torque wrenched a spark plug. I'm not saying that you shouldn't, I just think it's kind of like torquing your lug nuts. Common sense tells you if it isn't enough or if it's too much. Your heads are aluminum, so just don't muscle it and strip the threads.

Good luck!