Replacing rear corner sockets [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rear corner sockets

AznGA
04-20-2004, 11:53 PM
Water got into both of my rear corner lights and the sockets are coroded. I have to replace them. I took my tails off, but the wires that lead to the sockets come out from this black tube that also has taillight wires in it. How do you replace these?

EBlend
04-21-2004, 08:10 AM
cut the wires off and just resolder a new socket on there

nomojo
04-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Water got into both of my rear corner lights and the sockets are coroded. I have to replace them. I took my tails off, but the wires that lead to the sockets come out from this black tube that also has taillight wires in it. How do you replace these?

Hey

The cornering lamps come out, there are two bolts on each side, accessible underneath the car. It pushes out from the bumper (push from the back). You need to unhook the socket from the plastic assy by turning the socket counter clockwise and then removing it. Then, order a new set of cornering lamps, reverse and repeat :)

For the connector, I cant find a good component view in the service manual; my suspicion is that its a straight thru cable that runs to the front of the car, in which case you dont want to get involved in replacing the whole harness. Just do the socket. I've never ordered one separate like that , but I would imagine that it would come 'open' whereby you would cut the old one off, strip the wire, crimp the metal connectors onto the wires, and then push them into the plastic connector (this avoiding the cut & splice problem).

The part number for a 2001 grand am is:

p/n 12146418
desc: lamp socket type w-2 right angle (grey)

hope that helps.

71Z28RS
04-22-2004, 10:59 AM
I had to do the back-up light on my wife's GA, and yes, when you order it from the dealer it comes as blank ended wires. So, just cut the old one off and solder the new one on. Don't be tempted to use electrical tape. Do it right the first time.