Duct Taped my Doors [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Duct Taped my Doors

Kodeblue
04-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Well, I bought some GT mouldings about 2 years ago from a member here. I tried putting them on myself and spent about $100 on 3M 2-way tape and trying it several times. I ended up going to a body shop, they put them on with "thier"tape and could not guarantee how long it would last. I forget what that cost me. It lasted maybe a week. I finally went to a respectable shop around here and they used a black goo substance on the corners that were coming off. They didn't charge me anything because it only took maybe 5 minutes and I told them I didn't want to keep paying body shops to do something that would only last a week. Now the rest of the moulding have been coming off for quite some time now. I have been using duct tape to hold it on.....****!!!!!........Anyways, a friend recommended eurathane. Anybody familiar with that stuff? I am going to try and find out where to get it and try it out this weekend maybe.

Here is a pic of it.

BMOBYLE
04-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah urethane is what they use around your windshield and back window to fill in air gaps and also hold the window in it's frame.

VERY STRONG SHIZNIT!!

Probably your best bet!!!:werd

schizm99
04-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Automotive GOOP!!!! Smells bad works great!

action
04-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Urethane will work very well, very sticky. Make sure you have no plans of taking them off again though, it will be next to impossible!!!

rizer
04-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Urethane will work very well, very sticky. Make sure you have no plans of taking them off again though, it will be next to impossible!!!

But hey, youd get a free paintjob :)

korbendallas68
04-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Aren't there clips that hold the panels on?? I dont get why you have to use goo.

PACE
04-22-2004, 09:31 AM
My SC/T rockers are coming off :( I need some serious sticky adhesive to glue them on......What is the Best? What is Panel Bond?? Would that be the best?

Roush GT
04-22-2004, 09:50 AM
My SC/T rockers are coming off :( I need some serious sticky adhesive to glue them on......What is the Best? What is Panel Bond?? Would that be the best?

pace, I used the 3m tape.. I actually just redid one of my rockers because I wasn't happy with how it was.

Do it on a sunny day

PACE
04-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Works better than glue or adhesive??

Kodeblue
04-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Well, I bought some 3M Window-Weld Super Fast Urethane today. The weather is a little ****ty so i am hoping to do it tomorrow. The guy at the automotive parts shop didn't know if this would work and also said it takes 24 hrs to harden so back on with the duct tape for a day or so again, lol. I'm going to research this stuff though on thier site to make sure it will work and to see how long it takes to dry. Last year, I put the 3M 2 sided tape on the clean panels and laid them in my brother's car on his dash with the wiondows up for about an hour. They got so hot, I could not touch them without getting burned and that still only stuck for a short time. I'll post up more info and pics if this stuff does work. Like I said, I am going to research it on thier site though first.

biggnome
04-22-2004, 05:52 PM
I suggest trying some 3M adhesive promoter(sp). Should be able to find it at an auto body paint supply shop. This stuff works as good as super gluing your fingers together. :thumbs: :thumbs:

xxbackhillxx
04-22-2004, 07:55 PM
a little OT: take that duct tape off before you ruin your ish ... trust me its a b1tch to get off

Kodeblue
04-22-2004, 08:11 PM
I suggest trying some 3M adhesive promoter(sp).
What exactly is this stuff and is it better then the urethane that I have?

a little OT: take that duct tape off before you ruin your ish ... trust me its a b1tch to get offIf I take the tape off, that whole side that is taped will lift off and flap in the wind lol. I have goo gone to remove the sticky **** from the tape.

xxbackhillxx
04-22-2004, 08:24 PM
some jackass smoked my rightside mirror and knocked it off and it dangled by the wires and i just taped it up till my new one came in and when i took the tape off it took some paint with it

Mike Jung
04-22-2004, 10:08 PM
That is why in the Photo, TV & motion pictures lighting world, they use 'Gaffer's Tape'.

It costs more than 'Duct Tape' but the glue is less harmfull & is for temporary usage (as long as you don't leave it on too long).

xxbackhillxx
04-23-2004, 06:45 AM
.... same with duct tape. its fine just dont leave it on too long so it doesnt adhere as well.

biggnome
04-23-2004, 03:43 PM
It looks just like an alcohol swab. It has certain chemicals that make the double sided tape stick better. Kinda the way you prep a windshield when you reattach a rearview mirror.