Tire pressure? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure?

Hexx
04-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Search yeilds nothing to me. Wonderin' what the tire pressure should be. Also, shouldn't the tire pressure light come on when they are low?

If so I think something is wrong with mine. You see, I have a slow leak in my driver side/rear tire. A week or two ago I put it up to 26ish psi because it was 10psi. I thought, and my bro thought it was due to the climate change and warmer weather and stuff. So no biggie, I filled her up.

Well, yesterday I check the tire to see if shes doing alright. I could push on it...it wasnt hard (the rubber). So I got my other bros pressure gauge and sure enough, back down to 10 psi. I am going to get it checked out, but what is the exact tire pressure for front and rear?

I'm at work right now, that's why I'm asking. And I'm not a tire expert. I have stock rims and some yoko tires (stock size).

mshu7
04-22-2004, 01:54 PM
I believe 32 psi is what it should be at.

Jagey
04-22-2004, 01:54 PM
I think they dumped the tire pressure thing in our cars back in 1999 because they were inaccurate. It says what your tires should be on the door jamb of your driver side door. I think it is 30 psi or something like that for RSA's.

Gt00
04-22-2004, 02:45 PM
I believe 32 psi is what it should be at. *iagree* Checked when cold .

Hexx
04-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Ok I guess ill keep them at 30 then. Is it 30 all around? My bro mentioned something about GM having more or less in either the front or rear.

carsarecool
04-22-2004, 07:20 PM
ehh i usually run about 28ish in the back, 30-34 in the front, more pressure shouldnt hurt it unless its waaay more like 38-44 and up

Mike Jung
04-22-2004, 08:49 PM
The tire pressure recommended is a MINIMUM of 30psi on cold tires all-around (or if checking a hot tires use a minimum of 34psi all-around; & then re-check/re-set it in the morning cold).

In general, the suggested range by GM is 32-35psi on cold tires.

I have my tires set currently all-around at 34psi on cold tires for my Bridgestone Potenza RE950 tires.
Some tires have a stiffer sidewall & like a little higher air pressure.
Found this out the hard way with my Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 winter performace tires; they look like kinda of flat at 30psi & ride/handle really bad at that low of air pressure.

Sleepwalkr
04-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Always keep in mind, if you're one way or the other... its always better to have a little more than a little less.

Jagey
04-22-2004, 09:52 PM
I don't know, my door jamb sticker says 30psi on cold tires. The tires always did seem as bit flat looking, but that's what the sticker tells me to do.

Hexx
04-23-2004, 04:09 AM
I don't know, my door jamb sticker says 30psi on cold tires. The tires always did seem as bit flat looking, but that's what the sticker tells me to do.

30psi makes it look flat???? What do you have for tires? Mine are solid at 30. The rear tire is making me sad though. Do you guys think it would be safe to throw that fix-a-flat stuff or equivlent foam stuff in there?

Maybe I have a bad valve stem?

Mike Jung
04-23-2004, 07:19 AM
...Do you guys think it would be safe to throw that fix-a-flat stuff or equivlent foam stuff in there?

Maybe I have a bad valve stem?

:nono: to using the fix-a-flat in a can, unless you have to (& then bring to a tire shop for repair/replacement of the tire & TELL THE TIRE SHOP YOU USED FIX-A-FLAT IN A CAN/SHOW THEM THE CAN).

I would pump up the tire & drive to a tire shop; & get it fixed right-a-way.

(it could be as simple as a loose/bad valve stem)

Jagey
04-23-2004, 02:25 PM
30psi makes it look flat???? What do you have for tires?
stock RSA's

Hexx
04-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Hahahaha that tire had a nail in it. I got it patched for $13.

Mike_99GAGT
04-23-2004, 07:51 PM
read the freak'n tire!.....it says right on it!

:jackson OWE!!!!!

Hexx
04-23-2004, 08:06 PM
read the freak'n tire!.....it says right on it!

:jackson OWE!!!!!

Look at the time I posted originally. It was dark out ;)

Gt00
04-23-2004, 08:46 PM
read the freak'n tire!.....it says right on it! That's the MAX pressure . Not the proper inflation pressure.

Mike_99GAGT
04-24-2004, 09:14 AM
sorry folks....i didnt mean to be harsh........i just look at the pressure on the tire and on the door and inflate to the higher of the 2......this help you get the longest life out of the tire, to soft or to hard will cause uneven treat wear.....the pressure on the tire is determined by the average weights of the cars that would accept that size tire.....

TJ95GAGT
04-24-2004, 09:37 AM
What if you have bigger wheel/tire setup than what came on the car. Do you go by the tire? (sorry may be a dumb question but I would think the door jam #'s are for the stock tires right?

98GrandAmSE
04-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Dont use the fix a flat stuff. Didnt they quit making that because it was so flamable?

MikeSilverGT
04-25-2004, 08:56 PM
What if you have bigger wheel/tire setup than what came on the car. Do you go by the tire? (sorry may be a dumb question but I would think the door jam #'s are for the stock tires right?

Yes, the door jam # is just for the stock rsa's, they can't predict what type of aftermarket you'll throw on your car.. I'd definitly go with whats on your tire, as its the closest you're probably going to get to the reccomended pressure for that size....

Mike Jung
04-25-2004, 09:13 PM
That's the MAX pressure . Not the proper inflation pressure.
*iagree*

The tire pressure on the tire is the MAXIMUM TIRE PRESSURE ALLOWED (as it says on the tires).

I don't see any recommended tire pressures on any of my tires:
Goodyear Eagle LS tires (stock that came on the car)

Bridgestone Potenza RE950 tires
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 tires