A few questions including CAI, exhaust, etc. (newbie here) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A few questions including CAI, exhaust, etc. (newbie here)

frankie
04-22-2004, 07:07 PM
First off, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Frank and I live in the Pittsburgh PA area. I am a member of ClubGP (Grand Prix) and have a 97 GTP with almost every imaginable modification. So, if you ever have any questions on Grand Prix's I'll help you out if I can.

But, to my questions. I am about to purchase a 2000 Grand Am GT tomorrow and have been looking into minor modifications for it. I don't want to get as in depth as I have with my GP. The Grand Am will be my daily driver but I wouldn't mind a few cosmetic and engine modifications.

So I am looking to get a CAI system, catback exhaust, some badge overlays and maybe grill inserts. I have been doing a little research on your forum and have seen many CAI's for sale and think I might go with a Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI. For those with knowledge about it or those that currently have it what do you think of it? Did you gain decent HP from it and how is the quality? Did it effect gas mileage at all? Also, what is the size and part number for the K&N filter that goes with it? Is the filter the same that goes with most of the other CAI's on the market?

Where is the best place to get quality grill inserts, badge overlays and SLP exhaust from? Any recommendations for plugs on these cars?

Well, sorry for the long post but I just want to get the input from those that have the knowledge of these products. I hope to be able to contribute a lot to this club in addition to learning a lot in the process.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Frankie

AznGA
04-22-2004, 08:37 PM
First of all, welcome. If you have experience modding a GTP, you won't have much trouble modding your new GA.

I think Dr. speed will be the best bet, because they ship out real quick. I have the stage 2 intake (WAI), and I definitely noticed gain, so you should notice gains with CAI. I haven't noticed increase in gas mileage though. I don't know the part number of our cone filters, but the intake comes with everything you need, including the filter. Maybe the part number is on the the filter itself.

The best place to get SLP exhaust right now would be slponline.com or pfyc.com

grafxwerks.com sells overlays for Grand Am as well as Grand Prix.

n43210
04-22-2004, 08:55 PM
customcargrills.com

frankie
04-23-2004, 04:34 AM
Thanks guys. I have learned a lot by modding my GTP so I know what works and what doesn't. When I first started modding I would buy anything. Now I know better. Until I become fimiliar with the vendors I have to depend on you guys for opinions on their products and most importantly services. If anyone else has any input I'd love to hear from you.

SC/TGrandAm
04-23-2004, 04:49 AM
I definately second doctorspeed.com for the CAI and any preformance mods. The owner is here on the forum (Dr_Kyle) and he takes awesome care of his customers.

For overlays definately grafxwerks.com. Once again another business ran like the above, great customer service.

Then for grills customcargrills.com, they have the best quality grills around. Unfortunately Street Scene doesnt make grills for us like they do for the GP guys, but if you go with the XXL from customcargrills its pretty close.

iceman
04-23-2004, 05:20 AM
Welcome to the forums - you've hit the most common questions with this post, all of which are discussed a few times daily around here and each member will have a different answer to. Become friendly with the search button and you'll find all the information you need without having to ask :)