code P0172, system too rich(bank 1) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : code P0172, system too rich(bank 1)

GTspeed
04-23-2004, 08:37 AM
well i have a code, damn it! P0172, system too rich bank 1. i searched, but didnt really find nothing useful. i doubt its the O2 sensor, i had that replaced a few months ago by the dealership, and if they put it in wrong, im sure it would have gone off before. could it be the cai and pro-m maf sensor? i also looked at my plugs. they dont look too good. could that be the case? change my plugs maybe? any info would be appreciated.

Mike Jung
04-23-2004, 09:42 PM
How is the condition of the CAI?
When did you clean it last?

I know a guy at work who was having that code P0172.
It turned out his air filter was clogged/dirty (from alot of downtown city driving).
It turns out he leaves his air filter in, until someone tells him to change it (like at an oil change).
New paper air filter & code went away.

This was the 2nd time this has happened to him :knob:
I keep telling him: change it once per year; but he says, 'I don't know where it is' :nono:

ZakkWylde470
04-23-2004, 10:33 PM
I don't remember the exact code (had it checked at Auto Zone) but when I removed my MAF screen and my air resonator I got a system too rich code.

GTspeed
04-24-2004, 06:59 AM
cai was cleaned just maybe 2 months or so ago, so it should still be good, and i've been having the pro-m maf on since christmas, and it doensnt come with a screen and no lights. but anyways, i dont know what happened. the light went away last night. i dunno. maybe somethin was blockin the air, cause last night i was driving harder than usual and maybe it unblocked somethin and i filled up with 89 octane, dont know if that matters.