I'm new [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : I'm new

CLEV
04-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie with a question. I have a 03' GT and I was thinking of replacing some stock engine parts, but what can I change i.e - intake, tb, exhaust, and still pass emissions in Pa?

SikMindz
04-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Welcome!

AndyVTek
04-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Another Pittsburgherrr!

Check the threads in the "Meet" section for possible summer activities.

In the mean time, yes. There are quite a few upgrades available for the 3400, including intake, exhaust, etc.

First, try the search button. You'll find tons of info.

Next, check out the following.

www.doctorspeed.com
www.pfyc.com
www.americanperformanceofcolorado.com

Just some ideas. *welcome*

UNCTYPE-S
04-25-2004, 03:15 PM
well i dont know what specific parts would not pass emissions in your state, but i do know that they will void your factory warranty.

and welcome

coupe
04-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Screw warranty.

CLEV
04-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks for making me feel welcome.. I'm looking to improve on gas mi. because i'm only getting about 19 mpg. all around. I love the car and with a couple of upgrades, I think it might be perfect for me.

UNCTYPE-S
04-25-2004, 04:05 PM
so your looking to buy performance parts to improve on gas mileage.

coupe
04-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Yeah that may not be the kind of motivation you want. But let me tell ya a CAI and FULL exhuast works wonders on gas mileage.

UNCTYPE-S
04-25-2004, 04:16 PM
probably more wonders on gas mileage over performance

coupe
04-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Um no not really. The average gain from headers alone is .5 sec off your 1/4 mile. The difference is night and day, both performance and mileage. You have to be real serious about your car to put in headers though, at least in a GA. Not fun payin for it nor puttin them in. You gotta be real serious about it, its not like puttin on rims and tires, these are there to stay when ya put them in, unless you have alot of time on your hands to put back the stock manifolds and sell the headers. No one in there right mind is that nuts, my headers are the last headers i put in a GA. I would still help someone though.

UNCTYPE-S
04-25-2004, 04:47 PM
i wasnt even talking about headers, i was talking about exhaust and cai. and it was just a 1/2 serious comment.

coupe
04-25-2004, 04:57 PM
My bad.
Well with my CAI and SLP cat-back i noticed a gain in mileage but not enough to justify spending that much money to save my mileage, i was settin up my car for headers at that time. But yeah CAI and cat-back is not worth the money to spend just to save gas. Thats what civics are for.

CLEV
04-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Also, I was wondering how the air vents come out. My grand am center duct puts out 3 times more air than the rest.....why? The reasen I asked about removal was to paint or carbon fiber the outer ring.

UNCTYPE-S
04-25-2004, 07:33 PM
to remove the vents, i found the easiest way is a flashlight and a metal coat hanger. make sure u bend the coat hanger so its like the letter "j"

their 3 plastic clips inside each airvent. each clip has to be pulled outwards and toward you. flash the light in there to see what im talking about. then just pull them off.

CLEV
04-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks- My last ride was a Ford Focus ZX5 and mods were real easy, everything just poped out. I'm hoping to install homemade grill inserts and carbon the interior tomarrow if its :cool: out.

blake
04-26-2004, 08:20 PM
welcome!!

don't do home-made grill

www.customcargrills.com

:thumbs:

coupe
04-27-2004, 01:01 PM
welcome!!

don't do home-made grill

www.customcargrills.com

:thumbs:

I second that statement!

CLEV
04-28-2004, 06:34 AM
I went to the site with the custom grills and looked at the instructions for install. The pics were of gutter guard from home depot. Thats what i got for 7 dollars. The clips in the pics are exactly like the ones that came with my gutter guard. So that means that ill be paying them 32 bucks to cut out the shape. I saved the instructions, but have not read them yet. I'm pretty sure that I can pull this off. If i dont screw something up i'll post finished pics. If i jack it up i'll order... Thanks guys... clev :boogie:

coupe
04-28-2004, 01:04 PM
It will rust and discolor somewhat quickly. You will have to replace it or repaint it at least once a year. With CCG you wont have to do that.

Big Joe
04-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Hey welcome