black bumper trim coming off? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : black bumper trim coming off?

ChadGT
10-21-2002, 12:25 PM
while waxing the car yesterday, i noticed that a small area, about 1 inch long, of the black bumper trim piece was coming loose right on the corner of the rear bumper. i remember reading posts on the old board about this, but did a search and found nothing on the new board. what is the cause of this again? is it just two sided tape coming loose? how will they fix it under warranty, remove the entire piece and put a new piece on?

chad

Kitt
10-21-2002, 02:08 PM
ive had this fixed 2 times under warrantee. They replace the whole molding there. It happens this time of the year from the cold temps change.

Gator
10-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Mine is doing the same on both sides in the rear and will be going in to be fixed under warranty. It is definately a problem they are aware of!

Richard
"Gator"

PACE
10-25-2002, 10:57 AM
I am a member of the --falling-off-molding club-- as well...:rolleyes:

VaGT
10-27-2002, 07:52 AM
I have had this... I had the dealer order the part for me, but never had it put on. Thinking about doing it myself. Anyone else replace these by themselves?

Aurea11
10-28-2002, 03:28 PM
Yeah I replaced mine earlier this year with gold trim that you had to measure and cut yourself. That was pretty easy - there are guide holes at the end of each molding to help you. If you get the kind already pre-cut from GM it should be even simpler. The gold on mine has faded already so I am going back to black. Wasn't worth the $40 for the gold stuff when it didn't even last a year :(

Cooler22
10-29-2002, 05:50 AM
I have the same problem too, except mine isn't on the corners. It's just above the rear license plate

Aurea
Do you know if you can get the trim in red?

VaGT
10-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Cooler22
I have the same problem too, except mine isn't on the corners. It's just above the rear license plate

Aurea
Do you know if you can get the trim in red?

That is where mine is too.

As for the red trim. I am sure you can since GM sells a red GAGT. Just get one from the parts dept.

Aurea11
10-29-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by VaGT

As for the red trim. I am sure you can since GM sells a red GAGT. Just get one from the parts dept.

If I'm not mistaken, that trim comes in black only on all GT's. Unless 2000+ GT's are different? As for getting red trim, http://www.auto-extra.com/molding.htm has trim in bright red and many other colors as well. You might want to contact them to get a color pic and see if they have it in our size (3/8 or 1/4).

And for those of you who just want to fix what's popping up, this might help:

Body Molding Repair Tape
Molding repair tape is an easy way to fix loose body side molding. This double-sided, self-adhesive, OEM approved tape can be used in a whole host of ways.
http://www.trimbrite.com/trimspecialty.htm

VaGT
10-29-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Aurea11

If I'm not mistaken, that trim comes in black only on all GT's. Unless 2000+ GT's are different?

Hmm. For some reason I had not noticed this or recalled it at least. I just checked the online inventory at my dealer, and it appears you are correct.

Cooler22
10-30-2002, 05:13 AM
The 2000 does have the black trim. I just want red to blend it all in.

Aurea
I might be a tool for asking this but,

The problem you had with the gold trim could you not fix that with a couple of clear coats???

Like I said I might be a tool for asking.

Tonyyank
10-30-2002, 05:35 AM
I too am a member...Its coming up in 3 spots, each corner and right in the middle:mad:

Aurea11
10-30-2002, 08:17 AM
Haha no you're not a tool. It's a reflective gold, not a flat color. Perhaps clear coating would have worked/will work, but I kind of did it in a hurry. It's still gold, but it seems to be fading to chrome.

Originally posted by Cooler22
The 2000 does have the black trim. I just want red to blend it all in.

Aurea
I might be a tool for asking this but,

The problem you had with the gold trim could you not fix that with a couple of clear coats???

Like I said I might be a tool for asking.

Cooler22
11-07-2002, 04:58 AM
No luck on the red trim. My search continues!

let me see if I get this thing with the tape.

In order to fix the trim with the tape, I have to remove the trim apply the tape and then reapply the trim.
How will that prevent it from doing it again?

SteveGT1
11-14-2002, 03:34 PM
Yep, I have the same problem. Mine is peeling right above the licence plate, I don't have warrenty so I have to attempt this myself