Sign that trannys starting to go? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sign that trannys starting to go?

rizer
04-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Well, its kinda starting to annoy me. On my 2k gt when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, theres a space between shifts. It dont sound like its slipping and having trouble catching 2nd, theres just a space gap between shifts, kinda like a really quick shift as if it was a manual transmission. The rest of the gears shift fine and smoothly. Should also mention that my needle on my RPM gauge kinda like jerks to whatever rpm its at, instead of a smooth movement, it just skips to the current rpm. (its all orginal gauges, never touched)

Oh, the car has 88k miles on it.

It is just a sloppy shifting GM thing or should i expect tranny problems soon?

kamikaz16
04-25-2004, 08:52 PM
The first part sounds kinda odd, you'd have to describe it a little more. But the second part is fairly normal, its just the transmission's overdrive. Before it goes into fourth, you might notice the RPM's drop a little in anticipation, then it actually shifts. Its just the way the automatics work.

rizer
04-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Sorry, didnt explain it enough. Anytime the RPM needle is moving, it isnt a smooth movement, it jerks where ever it goes (stop, move, stop, move). Kinda like frame by frame.

Dont really know how to explain the shift deal better. When its ready to shift into 2nd, theres a small period of time, like its waiting to shift. Isnt right away like the rest of the gears. Kinda like i said, almost like it was a manny and id be shifting manually from 1st to 2nd, just a really fast shift.

95-GT
04-26-2004, 04:32 AM
whooo, first you say "theres a small period of time, like its waiting to shift. Isnt right away like the rest of the gears.

Then you say "just a really fast shift."

Is it a fast shift, or a delayed shift. My girlfriends 2000 GAGT has a 1-2 shift where its slow, and seems to rev up then hold for a second or two before it shifts also.

rizer
04-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Guess im trying to say, feels like the cars shifting from 1st to 2nd as if it was a stick. (time delay between shifts)

killerhound
04-27-2004, 06:42 PM
I'll try to help ya, buddy. My car does the same, if it makes ya feel better (53k miles). Basically, what he's trying to say is when you stomp on it, it takes off. Mine always touches the redline before it shifts. So after it touches that, let's say it drops to somewhere around 3500 (not actual numbers), then it'll go to 3,000 within a split second, basically, it downshifts, then goes down further.

Yeah yeah, that's more confusing than what rizer said, but there's another shot at an explanation.

tammikm
04-30-2004, 10:14 AM
mine does this also 2001 GAGT, I think its normal...

Hot_Stud18
04-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Mine does that once in a while when im racing say if im at a light and then gun it right when its just about to shift into 2nd it wants to hesitate.

Brken123
05-19-2004, 05:55 PM
I posted this in another post, but i'll put it here too. My car does kinda the same thing, only when it goes from 1st to 2nd it actually hits second, then kicks out for about 3 seconds, revs up, and then slams back into gear. The only way I've seen to fix it is actually to dis-connect the battery, re-connect it and then drive the car again. (That whole computer sets the car up depending on how it is driven b.s.) I noticed that after doing that the car would shift fine for about a week, and then it would start doing the jump in and out of gear thing again. Going to take it to the dealership and tell them to check the bands (what actually causes the tranny to stay in a certian gear) and see if they are slipping or something. I'll post up when I get a response from them.....hopefully this helps someone or sparks and idea.....

tim_se1
05-19-2004, 10:19 PM
mine never did that but i just found out today that i need a new tranny. sometimes when i put it in gear (D), the engine revs up but doesnt move. i had to rev it a few times before it would catch. took it to the dealership today and found out the clutches got burned up. i tried to get a gt transmission but the warranty only replaces what the car comes with dammit. oh well, i still get a new trans covered under warranty.

2002AmSE
05-20-2004, 06:38 AM
tim_se1, did it show any symptoms at all beforehand or did it just all of the sudden not catch? Just wondering... What's your mileage? You must be under extended warrenty, I noticed youve got a 99.

AznGA
05-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Ok sorry if you have to get your tranny replaced, but good thing you have warranty. But I am wondering how you can damage an auto tranny? I don't do N drops or anything like that, but ever since I got intake and exhaust, I have been enjoying the backpressure sound of my SLP exhaust. I would floor my car up to about 30 MPH, and let the gas padel back up and it would give me the nice sound when RPM drops, but the tranny also would jerk a little more than when I actually hit the gas pedal to shift into 2nd. You know what I mean.

But I had some tranny issues when I was flooring my car off the line. It went up to redline, and the needle would move within the 5000-6000RPM range back and forth about twice to finally shift into 2nd. But it went away when I disconnected the battery. But I think your tranny seems fine. You might want to go to a dealer and see if your tranny is throwing any codes, because our tranny is computer controlled.