Catch Can [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Catch Can

Rogue9
04-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Anyone use a catch can on their cars to condense oil vapor from the PCV gases?

MMGT1
01-05-2007, 08:17 PM
I would really like some info on this too! Been looking around here and I have oil in my intake from deleting the EGR.

What do I need?
Where do I get one?
How should it be installed?
Does it work?

gectek
01-05-2007, 08:22 PM
there are some kits out there, but i think that sappy said he found some stuff at walmart...like a water filter that has the clear screw off bottom and some PVC or brass barbs to put on each end to connect the hose to, and then u can use the supplied filter, or just drop in some steel wool and itll catch most if not all of the oil and oil vapors going though the pcv syst into the intake. but you would want to do it to both sides

also you are not getting the oil vapor due to deleting the egr, its just a normal emissions process for it to put the vapors back through the intake.

lastyear4gt
01-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Im in the midst of tracking down one to put in with the supercharger install since the EGR is going bye bye. I have found a few kits, Greddy makes some, weapon R makes some, and there are a few other companies. The problem is that they are quite expensive. But this is not a situation where you need to spend big bucks because it is a pretty basic filter system. Do a search for "oil catch can" on ebay and you will find alot of hits. I think thats where I will get mine; one of the cheaper ones of course.

lastyear4gt
01-05-2007, 09:10 PM
also you are not getting the oil vapor due to deleting the egr, its just a normal emissions process for it to put the vapors back through the intake.

Not true. If you look at the EGR location and PCV location on a stock set-up, there is a reason they are so close together. The EGR gasses help to burn off the PCV vapours. Yes you will still get a slight oily residue in the intake regardless, but this will significantly increase with deletion of the EGR system.

gectek
01-05-2007, 11:49 PM
yah was gonna add that, but i was busy switching steering wheels to the one with the radio controls...yah it will help vaporize it, but itll still be in your intake, without the egr itll just be a little more sticky

MMGT1
01-06-2007, 07:40 AM
:homo: I don't like sticky..............

anyway, that's enough of that! Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a look over on e-bay. Thanks again,

Paul

Rogue9
01-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Holy old thread.... lol... I posted that 3 years ago...

MMGT1
01-09-2007, 12:06 PM
^^^^^^well I'm glad you did^^^^^^^^^^^

Good info

Thanks again :)

Matt95GT
01-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Not exactly the same setup as you V6 guys (I'm EGR-less from the factory, and mine used to have a vacuum-operated oil separator box instead of PCV valve) but I'm using a nice mini catch-can with breather. Obtained from Jegs IIRC. Does the job quite well and keeps the inside of the blower clean of messy oil... although I get occasional comments from people who notice hot oil vapor drifting out from the headlight area.

Here:
http://fazeshift.org/pics/albums/userpics/06-23-06/normal_DCP07496.JPG
http://fazeshift.org/pics/albums/userpics/06-23-06/normal_DCP07501.JPG